Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke to an alignment shop about doing my truck next week after my lift goes in. He told me I would save some money if I free up the front end (cam bolts a-arms) does any body know what he meant by this? haha. He said it would make it faster for him to get it done because he wont be wasting time un-siezing parts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
dont tighten the upper and lower control arm untill you have full weight of truck on the ground

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and what will this do? sorry i just dont understand

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dont most shops charge a flat rate for alignments? Around me it cost about $80-$110 for the dmax . wife's car cost $60 at farm and fleet

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he told me 80 bucks but if they have to get into unseizing parts it costs more? This guy is legit too. He does all the local lifted trucks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
and what will this do? sorry i just dont understand
Save him time from having to fight the seized nuts. They may have to heated up to be loosened. time=money

·
Registered
155 Posts
say u tighten the bolts in the air and you set the truck on the ground it twist the bushing and wares them out quicker or if you hit a bump and it twist the bushing it will lower the truck and will change the alignment

·
Registered
510 Posts
^^^ this, Loosen the nuts and re-tighten them on your upper control arms where they mount to the frame, they can be a real pain in the ass...

You may have to heat them a little bit but dont melt the rubber bushings inside the arm...

·
Registered
155 Posts
i do alignment every day it sound like the people are lazy and dont want to do ther job, if you cant get it with a wrench use a air gun

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so when i install the lift, i dont tighten the control arms. Or do I even touch those during an install lol? I feel extremely dumb. I might just call him back and get him to explain in detail.

·
Registered
155 Posts
when you install the lift only leave the upper and lower control arms loose, when you r all done with the lift and the truck is on the ground you can tighten the upper and lower control arm, the uppers to 100 ft lbs and the lowers to 160 ft lbs

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and that will make it easier for him to do an alignment? he mentioned something about cam bolts? is that the ones your talking about. lazy bastards eh.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the lift should come with instructions, if not you can google the instructions it will tell you what to do. r u buying the kit off of somebody or a company

·
Registered
155 Posts
the cam bolts r on the upper control arm

·
Registered
510 Posts
Shop owner must not think that you are going to loosen the "cam" bolts on the control arms thats why he is saying this, Just put the lift on and take it to him, shouldnt be a problem since you will have already had the bolts loose and they wont be siezed up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
just keep in mind when you lift a truck you can get camber back in to spec but caster will be a lower # then what it calls for most of the time. most of the time it will call for 4.5 stock when you lift it you will see from 1.0 to 3.0 wide range

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you want your camber to be right on you can buy Moog problem solver offset upper control arm bushings and they can get it dead on. When I lifted mine I did that and the shop said they never had anyone use those before doing mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts