Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I’ve had the dealer change the fluid when I bought the truck in 2015, it’s the first time for me changing the tranny fluid/filter. Nowhere in my 2005 Chevrolet 3500 owners manual does it give me (that I could find) the capacity for the Alison transmission coupled with the 6.6 turbo diesel. So I called the local Chevy dealer who said 7.4 qts. Now after replacing the filter and checking the fluid level COLD, it shows overfilled. I understand you don’t want to operate if the tranny is overfilled, but do I need to run to circulate the fluid through the new filter element, etc prior to determining the proper operating level. I appreciate any advise!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
As I’ve had the dealer change the fluid when I bought the truck in 2015, it’s the first time for me changing the tranny fluid/filter. Nowhere in my 2005 Chevrolet 3500 owners manual does it give me (that I could find) the capacity for the Alison transmission coupled with the 6.6 turbo diesel. So I called the local Chevy dealer who said 7.4 qts. Now after replacing the filter and checking the fluid level COLD, it shows overfilled. I understand you don’t want to operate if the tranny is overfilled, but do I need to run to circulate the fluid through the new filter element, etc prior to determining the proper operating level. I appreciate any advise!
Just get it up to temp... it should be a little below hot.... I think when I did mine the day it is between hot and cold and I have a deep ppe pan. That was cold.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Also when I over fill easier to dump out of the filter than the drain plug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also when I over fill easier to dump out of the filter than the drain plug.

So do you know if 7.4qts is correct for my year?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look your truck up on the Amsoil site and it will tell you what you need. I’ve got an ‘18 and it was 7.4qt
I wish I’d known about the Amsoil site before! The capacity for my tranny is listed at 12.7 pints which equates to approximately 7qts (not 7.4 as stated by the dealer). So I’ve overfilled by about a half a quart (grr!). Well, I’ve learned a valuable lesson. Thanks to those who helped me through this discussion!! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have you driven the truck to get tranny up to operating temp & check the level? Even if it is 1/2 a quart overfull it won't hurt nothing to get to temp to confirm level. Then you can drain out the half quart if needed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You actually want it running to check the right level.
.4 quarts extra shouldn’t cause any problems.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
7.4 quarts is the stock pan capacity. Also, the Allison runs cooler when it's not completely full. Run it at the bottom of the hot hash marks when it's hot...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just changed my first ever transmission change on my 16. I drained my fluid & spin on filter & started out adding 7 quarts to see where I was at for the COLD check. I was a little low so added more. Once I got comfortable with fluid being in the cold mark I was able to drive the truck up to 160 degrees. I actually got the truck up to 172 for safe measures & had it perfect on the letter "T" on the hot. It was pretty close to the middle mark which I am fine with so when I change my spin on filters I shouldnt have to add any fluid. Hope this helps
Cheers
-Chris

·
Registered
2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY
3 Posts
What fluid are you guys recommending for the Allison 1000? Just stick with OE or go with something like the Amsoil? I know from experience the Amsoil gear oil dropped the rear diff temp on my Tacoma by 50 degrees compared to the Lucas dino oil that ECGS recommends for for break in. That is under a extreme load at highway speeds and the reason I now have a duramax to pull my camper instead of overheating and breaking teeth of the rear ring gear of a Tacoma built to play.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
If the Allison is stock, use Castrol Transynd or an equivalent TES-295 fluid. Mobil Delvac ATF is a quality TES-295 fluid and can be found at most truck stops...

·
Registered
2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY
3 Posts
And always use a Allison filter correct? The filter on it now is reddish in color but does not say anything on it. More than likely that means it is cheap aftermarket filter. I am going to switch that out ASAP.

Reactions: BoiseRob

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just did a full service/ dropped the pan changed both filters. (for those unknowing) I put 11 qtz. I kept draining it thinking it was too much. When its hot and you pull the stick out. Read the lowest side of the stick weather its the hash side or not and cross reference from there.
I called Mike @ Inglewood and he was the one that directed me to do it this way. After its to temp of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What fluid are you guys recommending for the Allison 1000? Just stick with OE or go with something like the Amsoil? I know from experience the Amsoil gear oil dropped the rear diff temp on my Tacoma by 50 degrees compared to the Lucas dino oil that ECGS recommends for for break in. That is under a extreme load at highway speeds and the reason I now have a duramax to pull my camper instead of overheating and breaking teeth of the rear ring gear of a Tacoma built to play.
I use Mobil Delvac which is approved by Allison because I can get it at Napa. Just make sure to not overfill they tend to run hotter with more fluid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And always use a Allison filter correct? The filter on it now is reddish in color but does not say anything on it. More than likely that means it is cheap aftermarket filter. I am going to switch that out ASAP.
You can use Allison spin on filter (Red-says Allison) or Ac delco (Blue) for Spin on filter. I would recommend 1 or the other nothing else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just did a full service/ dropped the pan changed both filters. (for those unknowing) I put 11 qtz. I kept draining it thinking it was too much. When its hot and you pull the stick out. Read the lowest side of the stick weather its the hash side or not and cross reference from there.
I called Mike @ Inglewood and he was the one that directed me to do it this way. After its to temp of course.
From what I have gathered most not all recommend the fluid being on the low side. If it is in the middle to higher side it tends to get a tad hotter then normal. Also, check when trans temperature is 160+. Some who service the trans forget to get it to that temp or higher to get an accurate reading. Oil tends to expand the hotter it gets. If you don't feel comfortable your can add a little at a time.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
If you want to use oil that is approved to the Allison 'tes-295 spec there are about 12 that have approvals.

Be sure to look at the tes-295 tab:

edited for spelling....

Reactions: CMonclova1

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just did the transmission fluid service recently. I filled the fluid to the cold mark but on the high side. Well, once getting the transmission fluid up to operating temperature, I am overfilled and will have to drain some fluid out. My advice, start at the minimum mark in the cold mark on the dipstick and adjust at operating temperature from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts