Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I've asked similiar questions before...but I'm going to give you guys a scenario and tell me what you think. If I have an LBZ engine...with a MBRP 4' Cat back system, Pyrometer, and PPE standard...and I run it on the 1st power setting...which would be 40 HP..(economy setting). Will I get error codes? Will it hurt my engine eventually..or shorten the life of it? Give me better MPG? AND...will my EGT's be fine? I only tow twice a year...and it's a camper. My vehicle is mainly used for long mileage trips. Thanx.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i've been running a 90hp(bigger then 90 to a 100 hp is not suggested if you want your stock tranny to last a long time)tune on my LBZ for my regular driving the last 60k miles and never had any problems other then the rear tires wear quicker but that might be the throttle position sensor:tease:rof:fartm oh and i gained roughlt 3 mpg over all with the exhaust and CAI mod and the PPE..

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...so the 2nd setting is 90HP. But it is called the Tow Setting...is it bad to run the truck in Tow setting if I'm not towing? And will it give me better Gas mileage? Because I plan on setting the programmer on one setting....and running it like that till my truck dies. And I don't feel comfortable modding my CAI...I get nervous and would probably slaughter the plastic too much or something. So will running the stock CAI hurt me if I'm running an extra 40 or 90?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Ok...so the 2nd setting is 90HP. But it is called the Tow Setting...is it bad to run the truck in Tow setting if I'm not towing? And will it give me better Gas mileage? Because I plan on setting the programmer on one setting....and running it like that till my truck dies. And I don't feel comfortable modding my CAI...I get nervous and would probably slaughter the plastic too much or something. So will running the stock CAI hurt me if I'm running an extra 40 or 90?
let me tell you if this white boy can do it so can you,but if you only plan on 90 extra hp i wouldn't worry about the CAI.

i found out that i get my best fuel economy on the 2nd setting(90hp)and you don't have to worry about the tranny going kaboom but try to keep the WOT in the highers gears at a minimum..WOT=Wide Open Throttle

·
Registered
192 Posts
So will running the stock CAI hurt me if I'm running an extra 40 or 90?
no.

There will be no difference, not even if you run 200 HP.

No offense to anyone, but airbox hacks are for people who have bottles in the medicine cabinet labeled "Placebo pills, in case of emergency, take entire bottle immediately".

You will always feel better afterwards.

I am in wonder of the masses who will voluntarily hack to pieces an engineered intake of a $45,000 vehicle, based on the unsubstantiated recommendations of hack companies.

You do still need to worry that IAT will rise if you tow with the fan on, up to 160 is possible. This is bad for everything, including mileage, but really murders the turbo over time. It is not easy to change, but it is better than the over 200 F crowd with the older airboxes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yah with the exhaust and programmer your looking at about 1-3 depending on driving style

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.