Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading down the highway and heard an engine rattle noise like a sputter dying sound. Pulled over, engine died and will not start. No trouble lights or codes come up on the scanner. Pumped up the fuel filter multi times and tried to start but no luck. 2014 dually, deleted 2 years ago without a problem until now. EFI live with 5 stage switch. What else can I be looking at?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rockn69 wins the prize! mechanic says the whole system needs to be replaced, and cleaned. Going to be a pricey job. Any other choice?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What can you tell me about doing a CP3 conversion? Opinions? Also now would be a good time to delete the EGR I think

·
Premium Member
9,577 Posts
Definitely do the CP3 conversion there's plenty of reading on it and also do a complete delete if possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In for a penny... in for a pound! Full delete for sure. Should a lift pump be added as well with the CP3 or should I have done that before the 4 crapped out?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Seeing as you're running a DSP5 I assume you have some bigger HP tunes, so it would be a good idea to run a lift pump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So with the CP3 kit, can I just pick one up off the shelf or have they been modified to fit different applications, or is it just the lines etc that are specific to each install?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: The CP4 gear is in pieces inside the timing cover, the timing cover is broken where the gear tried to escape. Has anybody seen this happen before? I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how to lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
So pump grenaded wiping out fuel system, plus the gear taking out cover? Or gear broke & bust cover, plus what ever else you haven't discovered yet:crying: That's some bad luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rockn69...Ain't it though, haven't finished digging yet but hopefully the pump gear and timing housing is all. How in the he?? do you upload pics on here?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Forget the above link, I never opened it until I post it. It's outdated and uses photobucket which cost $$ now. I think you just click & drag your pics to the box just below where you post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuel pump seized, camshaft gear tore apart the fuel pump gear which tore through the timing cover and other debris drifted down into the crankshaft gear and oil pump gear and into the oil pan. I haven't looked into the internals yet but am suspecting more damage inside. Truck is parked, and I pulled out the 2007 3500 SRW and put it back into service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man this sucks to read. Exact same thing happened to me today. I already knew in my mind it was cp4 but was hoping for the best. But after reading your symptoms exactly same as mine I’m sure that’s what it is. Any idea of cost to repair yet?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Man this sucks to read. Exact same thing happened to me today. I already knew in my mind it was cp4 but was hoping for the best. But after reading your symptoms exactly same as mine I’m sure that’s what it is. Any idea of cost to repair yet?
Mine went out a couple of months ago I didn't have near the damage of the OP I took mine to a chevy dealer here it cost me 10300 they said it's an updated cp4 pump gave me a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
rockn69 wins the prize! mechanic says the whole system needs to be replaced, and cleaned. Going to be a pricey job. Any other choice?
not really another choice, but you can rebuild with a CP3 so it doesent happen again.

is that a crack all the way through the CP4 case??? right behind the gear where the high pressure line bolts on?

This thread makes me want to go hug a bottle of optilube.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not really another choice, but you can rebuild with a CP3 so it doesent happen again.

is that a crack all the way through the CP4 case??? right behind the gear where the high pressure line bolts on?

This thread makes me want to go hug a bottle of optilube.
No, but all the gears are damaged as well as the front housing and the oil pump gear is also suspect. I could replace all these parts and still have internal damage so I am shopping for another engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts