Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for some all terrains or mud terrains for my truck. i dont want anything extreme like the ss iroks though. bfg's are so common that i dont really want them, i was thinking about the mickey thompson baja mtz or atz. interco also just came out with the vortrac. anybody have any suggestions? thanks

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I hear toyos are pretty good along with nitto. I decided to follow the crowd and go with a proven tire....the BFGs. They work really good for me in the winter, so I think I will stick with them.....besides, I found a second set for $175.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I just bought the Grabber AT2 tires...they have the same tread design as the BFGoodrich tires...have a completely different sidewall look...and are only like 540.00 for 4 265/75-16's. They have a really high snow, wet traction, and mountain rating. And a 60,000 mile treadlife warranty. And the ones I got were load rated E with I believe a 10 sidewall rating for off-road use. And they are really quiet....I couldn't even tell I put AT tires on over stock. I will buy the Grabber AT2 tires for the life of this truck as long as they keep making them.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
some other brands to look at,Mastercraft,Cooper,Firestone,Dayton,Bridgestone,Toyo,Nitto and there are others avalible but all the above build a excellent A/T and M/T tires..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well right now my truck has the nose down stance but i plan on getting a leveling kit. the biggest tires i can fit after that would be 33's right? does anyone know anything about the parnelli jones dirt grips or the dick cepek fun countrys?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the biggest with only the T/Bars cranked is with litle rubbing is a 285-75R16 but with the leveling kit you can run the 285's with no rubbing..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that a 33 in?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Pretty much....I believe they are 32.8" tall. I am running that size on aftermarket rims with little or no torsion crank. I don't have any rubbing, but I don't run front mudflaps.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just got a set of Mickey Baja ATZ's about 3 weeks ago after having BFG M/T's for the last 5 years roughly, and so far I have been impressed with them. They are much quieter and the ride is good. I have not gotten to test them in the nasty stuff only rain so far and they were great. My only complaint is that like all A/T tires they have a tendency to collect gravel in between the treadblocks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The cheapest most aggressive AT is the General Grabber AT2. Very good looking tire for a great price. Also pretty good in the mud!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will driving slow on drit roads help to stop the gravel being thrown

·
Registered
855 Posts
Driving slower does help a little bit, most of the time. Usually if I have been on gravel for awhile I will just get out and check if there is anything really big stuck in the treads and clear it out before I hit the highway.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
is that a 33 in?
ya the 285's are 32.8-11.00R16..
will driving slow on drit roads help to stop the gravel being thrown
slowing down will really help but when you hit the hard road and speed up they will clean out so either way you run into the stone problem no matter what if you run gravel roads..

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
If you are going to buy any AT tire....you will have stone issues. I've owned 4 different trucks in 8 years and had different tires for every truck from BFGoodrich, Cooper, General, Mastercraft, and Procomp...and all of them destroyed my paint no matter how slow I went.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently went with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo. The price was reasonable ($176 ea) and got good test ratings. They have a nice ride on the highway, but still have a fairly aggressive tread for off-road.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so would you suggest a less aggressive mud terrain? do MT tires throw less gravel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still have gravel issues (I live on a gravel road) , but I don't think they are as bad as the more aggressive treads

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought an 05 LLY. The dealer put a new set of 305/70/17 Maxxis Buckshots. Although they are nice looking and not near as noisy as I expected. I think I will be selling them and getting the Toyo AT in the near future.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what would be better: nittor terra grapplers, toyo open coutry AT, bfg AT, dick cepek fun country AT or mickey thompson baja ATZ? thanks for everyones opinions they help alot

1 - 20 of 21 Posts