Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on different additives and what other people prefer and why, but other than MPGs and listening is there anything else that can be used to see which additive is better? I bought this 05 and the previous owner used Alliant power lubriguard, so I bought a few bottles and used them for the first few tanks. Then I started reading about optilube and decided to buy a quart after running 1.5 tanks, I dont see any real difference, am I missing something or is alliant power just that good? Thanks in advance!

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Never heard of it.
kind of pricey with a 1:1000 mix rate.
Basic ad claims like all others.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
So far I dont see any real difference, other than it seems theres more engine noise and a bit lower mpgs on Optilube. I think I will run one more tank of Optilube just to be sure. Anyone have any negative experiences with AP?

Premium Member
Can't help you as I have never heard of it either...........

Registered
I have read on different additives and what other people prefer and why, but other than MPGs and listening is there anything else that can be used to see which additive is better? I bought this 05 and the previous owner used Alliant power lubriguard, so I bought a few bottles and used them for the first few tanks. Then I started reading about optilube and decided to buy a quart after running 1.5 tanks, I dont see any real difference, am I missing something or is alliant power just that good? Thanks in advance!

short of building a wear testing machine and physically testing the properties of the two i doubt you will get any quantitative evidence either way. There is the spicer report, though its out dated and that does have scientifically valid quantitative data but it may not reflect current additive blends. Optilube did well on that report and is widely used by many on this forum. Ive not heard of the other stuff either, so i would go wit hthe optilube over the other given those choices. Id probably go optilube anyway, but thats not what was asked.

Registered
What are you hoping to accomplish with the additive? Different additives are blended to do different things. I use an additive for CC and injector cleaning and choose an additive that touts itself to do well at that from a company whose testing I trust. Other people are concerned mostly with lubricity and OptiLube looks to focus on that and not so much on other things. FPPF has an additive for increasing the cetane index of fuel.

Registered
Never heard of it. Just stick with optilube.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
What are you hoping to accomplish with the additive? Different additives are blended to do different things. I use an additive for CC and injector cleaning and choose an additive that touts itself to do well at that from a company whose testing I trust. Other people are concerned mostly with lubricity and OptiLube looks to focus on that and not so much on other things. FPPF has an additive for increasing the cetane index of fuel.
My primary goal is to get as much life out of the injectors as possible. I also dont want to spend money on a gimmick haha

Registered
The Spicer report stated biodiesel blend had a very good lubricity rating and most diesel around me typically runs 5-10% bio. While I run XDP in every tank... i question the need since, where i fill up, claims to run a bio blend.

I run the xdp still b/c I still have some from when I got a good deal on it. Honestly I couldnt tell a difference between running/not running it. But, just b/c you cant tell doesn't mean something is or is not happening.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The Spicer report stated biodiesel blend had a very good lubricity rating and most diesel around me typically runs 5-10% bio. While I run XDP in every tank... i question the need since, where i fill up, claims to run a bio blend.

I run the xdp still b/c I still have some from when I got a good deal on it. Honestly I couldnt tell a difference between running/not running it. But, just b/c you cant tell doesn't mean something is or is not happening.
I am all for spending a few bucks to save me a few thousand, and I understand not seeing any results from a lubricant, just trying to make sure I am spending my few bucks wisely. The AP is easily available locally, while I have to order in OXPD.

Registered
I am all for spending a few bucks to save me a few thousand, and I understand not seeing any results from a lubricant, just trying to make sure I am spending my few bucks wisely. The AP is easily available locally, while I have to order in OXPD.
you'll find 10 different ways from sunday of all the detailed things people do to try to extend the life of their pickup. At the end of the day, there are so many variables that affect the life of your rig that besides keeping good fluids in it at all times... i seriously doubt one can do much more to extend the life. And even if claimed something helped... you couldnt prove it. Literally just too daggum many variables to try to hold constant to scientifically make that claim.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
you'll find 10 different ways from sunday of all the detailed things people do to try to extend the life of their pickup. At the end of the day, there are so many variables that affect the life of your rig that besides keeping good fluids in it at all times... i seriously doubt one can do much more to extend the life. And even if claimed something helped... you couldnt prove it. Literally just too daggum many variables to try to hold constant to scientifically make that claim.
Very true, I think at this point I am going to try to go based off what the truck tells me and call it a day. This is my first diesel and looking at the price to repair some of these parts makes my stomach turn. However I work with a guy who doesn't run additives at all. I appreciate everyone's input, really love my truck so far.

Registered
Very true, I think at this point I am going to try to go based off what the truck tells me and call it a day. This is my first diesel and looking at the price to repair some of these parts makes my stomach turn. However I work with a guy who doesn't run additives at all. I appreciate everyone's input, really love my truck so far.
FWIW - I went the AFE OEM filter route after learning about it from D_R_C. The filter is $80 but is built for a turbo unlike K&Ns. It'll save you from spending $200-400 on an S&B intake and allow you to spend that money on something else. Heck, you might be able to delete the EGR with the savings.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW - I went the AFE OEM filter route after learning about it from D_R_C. The filter is $80 but is built for a turbo unlike K&Ns. It'll save you from spending $200-400 on an S&B intake and allow you to spend that money on something else. Heck, you might be able to delete the EGR with the savings.
Did you notice a difference in the sound of the turbo with the filter change, or was it minimal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts