Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie with a new 2500 Lp5.
Previous 2015 2500 6.0
Pulls 30ft Travel Trailer with ease and smooth shifting.
Definite difference in the shifting (not smooth) when driving around town, slowing down, etc.
Is this jerkiness normal?

J

·
Administrator
30,083 Posts
How many miles do you have on it? If it is like the older Allison it takes a little bit to learn driving and adjust the pressure appropriately. That said, smooth vs not smooth is so subjective it is hard to tell, everyone told my brother his jerkiness was normal and first drive seeing what he was talking about showed it was not normal.

If you drive a lot in one situation and change, the older transmissions could take awhile to re-learn the pressure for the new scenario. Again, not too familiar with 10 speed vs older 5/6 speed.

·
Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,105 Posts
It does gear down as you slow and stop which your 6.0 would not have done. Have you tried it in tow haul and not tow haul?

That said, mine has been pretty smooth and always seems to know what gear to be in.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
16 Posts
Really, the only time I feel my truck shift is when I have the exhaust brake on without a trailer behind the truck. Going downhill, yeah, the downshifts are pretty significant. When I have that turned off and just driving around, nothing. I would get it checked.

·
Registered
2022 GMC 3500HD SLT CCSB Cayenne Red, Gooseneck/5th Wheel
16 Posts
One of the first things I noticed when I picked up my 3500 was the smoothness of the transmission compared to the 6 speed on my 2017. Even towing a 15k RV I can barely feel the change. Sometimes the only way to tell is by watching the RPM's change. Wonder if yours has an issue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 10 speed is smooth as butter. The only time I can really tell it shifts is if I lay into it getting on the freeway. Wife says I now drive like a Grandpa with this truck though so....meh....whatever....lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input.
Just under 2000 miles/
Truck shifts better when up to operating temp. Problem occurs mainly in town in 25 to 35 speed zones. Little bumpy unless I am getting on the throttle. Headed down the on ramp to the Interstate and after it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
881 Posts
If you can duplicate it I'd take it in and have a mechanic ride with ya so you can duplicate it to them. I've read where a few people have had some rougher shifts due to pressure not being correct at the shift point either from shifting program needing to be relearned/flashed or mechanical/electrical issue. Not knowing how hard it shifts makes it a complete guess but that is what warranty is for.

With that said, I've got little over 3700 on the odometer, transmission has been the smoothest transmission I have ever drove, unloaded usually have to watch the rpms to know it shifted, 10k fifth upshifts are just as smooth and sometimes I can feel the downshifts a little more but still very smooth.

Unloaded it doesn't matter if I put my foot into it or take accelerate easy. Best of luck and hope it's simple.

Almost forgot to ask - Stock truck?

Reactions: Piper One

·
Registered
6 Posts
To Satar does have a Banks Derringer but the same with it without. No Exhaust Brake used as I don’t use Tow Haul Mode with my 8000 TT.
Took to dealer yesterday. Tech drove it and felt the same things I feel. After further, he contacted Chevy and after a couple more tests they are gonna replace the Valve Body. Kicker is that the part is not available at this time. 😜😜
Note: primarily involves 3rd thru 7th off and on.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Update from GM. Parts (valve bodies) are on the way to distribution. Should be shipping by the 12th of Sept.
Just don't be surprised if they really don't ship by 9/12. They often delay, and delay, and delay and .....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m on my 4th Duramax 3500 and the 22 Alison is absolutely wonderful. Have 10,000 miles on it and now I have gotten used to the difference and whatever learning it does it has done I suspect. Super smooth with or without the trailer on it. And at cruising speed with the trailer, the downshift from ten to nine is so subtle that without watching the tach you can’t notice it. Additionally, the shift 2 eight holds most inclines and mild hiLLC with a load. Pretty impressed so far.

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ
36 Posts
I seem to occasionally have a bit of a "jerk" in some of my middle gears in that lower speed range, mostly off the throttle and unloaded (coasting or not pulling anything) kind of like described above. It doesn't always happen, and honestly I can't tell if I am hitting a bump in the road at the same time its shifting. I am unsure if I can even duplicate it!!! I'll keep monitoring it I guess?

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
881 Posts
After this latest trip the only thing I've noticed is while metro city driving (Baltimore area) there's times when due to traffic (20-50mph) I'll throttle up then have to let off the throttle then get back on the throttle (lane change/being cut off etc) that it doesn't seem to like it as well, get a little bump in the tranny like it's trying to figure out what I want to do and what gear it needs to be in to do it. I consider it normal but it's the only time I've noticed shift point being a bit harsher understandably.

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ
36 Posts
After this latest trip the only thing I've noticed is while metro city driving (Baltimore area) there's times when due to traffic (20-50mph) I'll throttle up then have to let off the throttle then get back on the throttle (lane change/being cut off etc) that it doesn't seem to like it as well, get a little bump in the tranny like it's trying to figure out what I want to do and what gear it needs to be in to do it. I consider it normal but it's the only time I've noticed shift point being a bit harsher understandably.
Satar, EXACTLY. Its that middle gear, 20-50mph I feel it is unloaded (off the throttle). 95% of the time I notice is in this scenario. I think its a bit normal as well but curious others feedback.

Very rarely do I feel anything on acceleration or loaded (up a hill, pulling, etc...) unless I am watching the tach and really really looking for it.
Ben

1 - 20 of 24 Posts