Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've run into an issue with my 03 and I am at my wit's end. Two weeks ago the original Allison failed at 380K miles. I found a used replacement that came out of a low mileage truck (120K). After getting the replacement trans put in with new fluids and filters it drove fine for around 15 miles. The CEL came on, and it was locked in 3rd. Pulled the codes and limped it home. Replaced the valve body, fluid pressure switch, internal pan harness, and added a TransGo JR kit. All new filters and fluid were added, codes cleared, and it drove like new....for about 15 miles. Same codes and 3rd gear limp mode. I have checked all the harness connections and they are all tight and free of any dirt or fluid.

Is there some form of a re-learn that the TCM has to go through when you swap the physical transmission? Any and all insight into this issue is greatly appreciated, this is my main work truck and I need it back ASAP.

Thanks Yall.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Here is some information about P0872. This info pertains specifically to my LMM but yours is likely very similar.

Transmission Control Module Programming and Setup

The following service procedures require either a programming or a setup event be performed for a complete repair.

Transmission Control Module (TCM) Replacement

If the TCM is replaced, TCM Reprogramming must be performed. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS). See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning

TCM Reprogramming

If the TCM is reprogrammed, TCM Reprogramming must be performed. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS). See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning

Ensure the following conditions exist in order to prepare for TCM programming or reprogramming:

• The battery is fully charged.
  • The ignition switch is in the RUN position.
  • The Techline equipment cable connection at the data link connector (DLC) is secure.
Program the TCM using the latest software matching the vehicle. Refer to up-to-date Techline equipment user instructions.

If the TCM fails to program, proceed as follows:

• Ensure the TCM connection is good.
  • Inspect the Techline equipment for the latest software version.
  • Attempt to program the TCM. If the TCM still cannot be programmed properly, replace the TCM.
TCM Setup

This device requires no setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a 2005 3500 dually with 90k miles on it mostly stock except for a K&N replacement a/f and a 4 in exhaust with out a cat. It no longer gets driver very frequently, but recently my family moved and I used my truck to tow a 24' bumper pull trailer with all our stuff in it. Every thing was fine for the majority of the trip (approx. 300 miles) but the CEL came on about 200 miles into the trip. I stopped and checked the codes and found a P0700 code. I never noticed any adverse driving symptoms, so I cleared the code and kept going the rest of the trip with no more light. Since this trip I have put aprox another 200 miles on it and have had the light come on a couple more times. This last time it came on, before it came on I noticed on the highway at 70mph the RPMs seemed to be higher than normal like it needed to shift into the next gear but never did. When I reached my destination and stopped in the parking lot the CEL came on again with the P0700 code again. I cleared it and drove home just fine. Does any one have some insight on this? Does it sound like an electronics issue or a mechanical issues. Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
The P0700 code is a generic code set by the ECM, it tells you that the TCM has problems. You need to get a reader capable of reading the TCM to determine what the problem is.

Most auto parts house readers can do it, also transmission shops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts