Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drive 1997 K2500 chevy suburban with the 7.4L(454) big block and the stock 4L80E tranny is starting to go i think and i was curious if anyone knows if i would be able to put an allison into it with out a lot of modification, and if i can what model would be best or easiest, any info would be awesome, thanks

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Easiest (and best imo) would be another 4l80e.

You can pick up a low low mileage 4l80e from a junkyard for $600 or so..... an allison is going to cost you in the thousands, and not to mention all the special parts you are going to need.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
im goin to guess an 8.1l allison is the one you would need to use but i think it would be alot of work due to the size of an allison and all the electrical that comes with it

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,975 Posts
I am not sure if you can bolt an ally to the backside of the 7.4. I know they offered the ally in the 8.1 gasser version. That would probably be your best option if it is possible as the TCM will be for a gas motor.
For what a 4l80 cost I would just throw in a replacement as the allison is alot more expensive. You can get your 4l80 rebuilt for about 1500

·
Registered
41 Posts
the 4le80 will hold up just as good as the allison will with the 454 and is alot cheeper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys after doing a little more research and hearing from other people that i should stick with the 4l80e i am probably just gonna rebuild it, and thanks for that link danhr

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I just thought I'd throw in my $.02. An Allison isnt all that its cracked up to be. it has nice gear ratios but that's really one of it's only strong points IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts