Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a Deep trans pan on there allison?I seen some that have perches that hold up the factory filter,does anyone have that one?And does it work ok for you.:help
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to figure out how the trans fluid below the filter gets circulated on a deep trans pan.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am unsure on the Dmax, but I run a deep pan on my Jeep. It actually has a different pickup that is put in place of the stock one. This allows the oil in the bottom of the pan to be pulled instead of mid-way. Like I said that is my Jeep and not an Allison, I haven't looked at what they use.

·
Vendor
332 Posts
The deep pan is available direct from Allison. You have to use a longer sump filter to keep it from falling out, the filter sits on the bottom of the pan to prevent it. The only real advantage to it is the increased oil capacity.

One thing you want to be sure of is you always install the deep sump filter with the deep pan, if you dont, the filter will fall out and cause damage. You can also install the Suncoast Filter Lok to keep the filter tight.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am running the deep Allison steel pan on my truck with the deep sump filter and the Suncoast filter Loc. I did notice a 10 degree drop with mine in the summer time. The most beneficial trans cooling mod for my truck was a bigger cooler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i noticed the cooler is blocked by the emblem on the front,not a good place to put it where it is harder for air to get to.Do they sell a larger cooler that hooks up to factory fittings or do i have to modify them?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes, you can get a bigger cooler. I run the Mike L. (member on here) cooler on my truck it's available through him or Suncoast. It dropped the operating temps on my Allison by a minimum of 35 degrees.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow,

I never got a 35 degree drop. I have not heard of anyone else with that kind of improvement. I did notice my fan seemed to run more though. I ended up selling it, because my tranny never warmed up in the winter, after I installed the engine oil cooler. It made a big difference on trans temp, even though it doesn't cool trans oil directly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That's the difference with the built trans, higher line psi = more heat. Mine ran 190 after the SC4 install. Deep Allison pan dropped it down to 180. Now with Mike's cooler it runs right between 150 and 160.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, you can get a bigger cooler. I run the Mike L. (member on here) cooler on my truck it's available through him or Suncoast. It dropped the operating temps on my Allison by a minimum of 35 degrees.
Does he advertise on here? I am a new member and I am interested in the larger cooler...

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,981 Posts
Contact Tyler @ MeyerPerformance. His customer service is great!! I got my MikeL cooler through him and have noticed a big drop in temp. Hope is doesn't stay too cool in the winter, but we'll see.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have the factory deep allison pan and filter on my truck, and it works great. Hands down the aftermarket tranny cooler is what makes these things happy. The deep pan is only a small help.

·
Registered
861 Posts
B&M makes a deep cast aluminium pan for the Allison and includes a low pickup. It works great and an easy installation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts