Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figure I wouldn't really get a noticeable difference. But an extra gallon of fluid should definitely help the transmission imo, but looking for more reviews

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Installed deep pan kit on quite a few dmaxes, lowers trans temp some good if your tuned or doing alot of towing

·
Registered
676 Posts
I worked at a Freightliner dealership, and before I bought my GMC, I went to the Detroit dealership, to get some parts, and the tranny guy was there I asked him a lot of questions, about the Alison, I worked at a Detroit dealership in Alberta for 10 years but the 1000 was not out then and at Freightliner we had never had a problem with one. One of the things he said was That a deep pan was 100% BS, the transmission has a computerized cooling circuit, and as long as the cooler is kept clean it is not ever needed.
He did say that before the warranty was up remove the oil pan and look for anything that was suspicious, and change the internal filter.
I bought a grill guard with 1/4 inch holes, from Cap it, to keep the CAC and trans cooler clean.
Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed deep pan kit on quite a few dmaxes, lowers trans temp some good if your tuned or doing alot of towing
I do tow quite often, mostly in the summer time.

I worked at a Freightliner dealership, and before I bought my GMC, I went to the Detroit dealership, to get some parts, and the tranny guy was there I asked him a lot of questions, about the Alison, I worked at a Detroit dealership in Alberta for 10 years but the 1000 was not out then and at Freightliner we had never had a problem with one. One of the things he said was That a deep pan was 100% BS, the transmission has a computerized cooling circuit, and as long as the cooler is kept clean it is not ever needed.
He did say that before the warranty was up remove the oil pan and look for anything that was suspicious, and change the internal filter.
I bought a grill guard with 1/4 inch holes, from Cap it, to keep the CAC and trans cooler clean.
Just a thought!
Good to get opinions on pros & cons. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep this in mind as I research it more. I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figure it can't hurt to have the extra fluid. But it doesn't really state the exact amount it can supplement to it. It says up to a full gallon more can be added. Up to? Seems vague

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply mike diesel.

Why don't they show that on the website? It would make it a lot easier instead of saying "up to" a gallon more. The trans fluid has to be at a precise level.

So it's 3qt's exactly?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I have had them take a full gallon extra.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the full gallon get you to the min mark on the readout?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
one gallon will get you to the cold mark once hot it should read full

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
When installing a deep pan i also use a suncoast filter lock, this prevents the filter from fall out of the pick up hole.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Allison did a pretty good job for not needing a filter lock with the stock or deep pan and no chance of it falling out, the PPE deep pan does not need a lock per their site. A larger transmission cooler would be money better spent for temperatures.
-
-
With stock shallow pan
-

-
-
With the Allison deep pan
-

-
-
-
-

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The suncoast filter lock. Does anyone have a link to it, I couldn't find it on their website?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Not sure if any changes have been made to the valve body on the Allison for the lock to work on the newer trucks, call D-max store...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I put in a request about the filter lock to the dmax store this morning. They don't usually respond till late afternoon. I'll see what they say.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts