Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my (outside) filter on my tranny....and I never saw a magnet. What is this magnet and where is it located? Second....is there someone on here that sells filters? I paid 42.00 for one at the GM dealer...I'm dumb I know. Also...when should the fluid be changed in the tranny? Is 50,000 a good time to drop the pan, change the fluid, and the internal filter? Any advice would be cool. But I really need to know about that magnet!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
GMdieseltech.com sells the filters and the replacement magnet if yours has been removed or lost! you can contact him here as member dmaxallitech!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to contact him....Thanx. But I'm still wondering....where is it located? How do I find out if it is missing or not? And can someone answer my other ?'s

·
3,162 Posts
THe mag. will be right on top of the filter when you remove it!!! kinda looks like a itty bitty magnet dougnut!!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I run without it just one time until I changed it again....do you think it will hurt anything? Because I just took the old filter off...and put the new one on..and didn't remove any magnet. And I've already ran 2,000 miles without one.

·
3,162 Posts
YEah you willl be ok my wifes truck did not have one in it when we bought it @17 k and i cahneged the filter and didnt put on in at the time. I will install one on the next filter change, which is soon!!!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah....I just saw a pic thanx to the website you sent me...and mine DEF. didn't have one of those on it. THANX for the help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like a big fat washer. Comes out/off when you spin the filter off. Mine usually has some trash stuck to it. Got 195,000 miles on my '03. Change the filter every 50,000 miles. Still got the original factory fluid in it. Looks nice and red, doesn't smell. Guess I could change it at 200,000.
WIX would be a good source for your new filter. A lot better pricing than OEM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts