Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if a programer changing the shift points can hurt the trans? I was told this only builds more pressure inside and might hurt it since more pressure is more stress. I pulled my dads camper with his 8100 and it felt like it slides in gears instead of a firm shift. He has the Hypertech in his truck but I was afraid to mess with the shift points. Is this not what the Tow Haul is for, or should I change them and to what. I was going to get one for my D/A but now I am confused on what to do or leave it alone???????

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I thought that EFI Live was the only software that would mess with the allison shift points and TAPS. When was the last time your dad's tranny fluid and spin filter changed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has a 2002 2500HD with 16,000 miles on it. He bought it new and never drives it. So the answer is never. Only synthetic oil in engine. The Hypertech asks about the shift points but I do not go there.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I would at least change the spin-on and see what happens. don't forget to take the magnet off the top of the old filter. Not driving it could cause sluggish problems too. I know there was a TSB for the allison, I don't know if the guys with the gas engines were having the same problem with TC drainback. I know under a load, my shifts aren't too "firm," sometimes I guess it kinda feels like it is slipping. (mine probably is depending on how I have the engine programmed).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply and dad only drives one way and that is go or blow. His Camper weighs around 12,000 and he keeps it at 70mph when towing. I thoght it might be him but sounds like they all feel like this when towing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts