Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum here. Had a quick question.

Today on the way home from work I got on it kinda hard and at about 60mph it felt like the trans was slipping. The rpm would keep increasing but the truck would not accelerate for a split second. Then when I had come to the next stop about 8 miles away it shifted into 1st really hard.

I have yet to experience what a "slip" feels like so I really have no idea as how to tell. The H&S XRT shows no engine codes and nothing really feels out of the ordinary. Im running the 60hp tune to be safe due to the fact that my trans is stock. I plan on getting a built trans here next but I am hoping that the stock one would last a pretty good length of time.

-Mike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the quick second post but I dont have a lift pump on it yet but would that maybe be the problem? I wasnt really keeping an eye on the rail press. to see if it was dropping.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
when the rpm's go up and the truck doesn't increase MPH your trans is goin into "limp mode" this feature is to save your trans when it senses its slipping.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Now is this bad when this happens? Also, would it be a good idea to put it to the stock setting?

Sorry for the noobish questions. This is my first vehicle I have ever owned and am trying to read up all I can on this forum and learn something or two about diesel power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont drive it really hard, just get up to speed nice and easy and put the cruse on about 70.

Change it back to stock and reset the trans. Dont feel like pushing my luck right now.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Im running a 135 hp tune on mine and the other day without really getting on her I felt the tourqe converter lock,it was a hard shift felling,with a jerk to it. Is this what is happing to you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have this happen to my truck when I switch to a heavier tune from my economy tune. When I run in through the gears a handful of times the shifts seem to improve. I thought "limp mode" was a condition that was accompanied by a code that had to be cleared before the truck would accelerate properly again. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have this happen to my truck when I switch to a heavier tune from my economy tune. When I run in through the gears a handful of times the shifts seem to improve. I thought "limp mode" was a condition that was accompanied by a code that had to be cleared before the truck would accelerate properly again. Is this wrong?
Are you talking about orangeslices or mine?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It shifts great it just after this particular "limp" happened the downshift from 2nd to 1st was really hard, hard enough for me to take notice.

So is this a sign that my trans is on its way out?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About 1000 miles ago. Change fuel filter every 10k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ya, I did a relearn about a day after I put it on the truck which was about 3-4 weeks ago.

When I would start to accelerate from a stop it shifts great, its just when I would get on it pretty good at about 55-60mph, it felt like i was taking my foot off the pedal then getting back on it really quick. the truck would lay down for a split second then start to accelerate again and would keep doing this numerous times in a row.

From what I have read if you limp your trans you will get a code and only run in 3rd gear, or did I read that wrong?

Im having a hard time describing it so sorry about the weird explanations.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just installed a ppe standard level 3 on my 06 lbz... i never noticed any shifting problems when it was stock. Now i notice the same lagging shifting problems. Could this be the extra power has just made it noticeable, and its just a fuel filter/pressure drop problem?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem really only occurs when I get on it somewhat but normal driving the problem doesn't occur. Im going with a built trans and lift pump here in the next couple months so hopefully this will fix the problem running on any tune.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
your not hitting limp mode,im pretty sure a code definatly is thrown when it hits limp mode.and you cant go very fast at all when ur in limp mode,i think you can only go like 35?..you have to shut the truck off i belive and reset the code and it will be fine after that.but that means once you limp it,you put a glaze on the clutches.therefore it will only be easier and easier to limp when u hammer on it.It doesnt sound like you have limped it,there are ppl on here running pretty big tunes and hammer down alot and havnt limped there trans yet.probably de-fueling like said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.