Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So doing a bunch of things tonight on my truck, I plan on changing the Allison spin on filter, this is my first time ever doing the tranny filter.

Can I spin off the old one change n clean the magnet put it on new filter, and toss it back on tranny without losing to much fluid? Or is there a way to plug it it what's everyone doing, or am I going to have to top up the tranny fluid no matter what? I have no transyd at the shop either:(

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
IIRC, you lose about a cup full of fluid. Just add the new filter & magnet & wait until the trans temp has reached 160°F - 170°F (72°C - 77°C) then check the fluid level.

·
Registered
207 Posts
at least fill the filter up with trans fluid..then recheck level after the trans gets up to normal opp.temp....thats what ive done and i have not any problems...scott

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The magnet will be on top of the filter when you remove it-. Clean it and put it back on the new filter. You can fill the filter before you install it. Then the fluid level will be OK.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Wrap a couple of paper towels around the spin-on as you unscrew it. You'll know why. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys whats the change interval on the trans filter?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
spin on=20k

internal not needed till overhaul or 100k some say

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I changed the allison spin filter when I did the oil change every 10000.

·
Registered
849 Posts
And buy it from a vendor here or an Allison dealer--not GM dealer ($$$)

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Exactly^^^. You can go on Allisons website & to find the nearest Allison dealer in your area. The Spin on filter is $10 from the Allison dealer & from most online stores.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info fellas! I got er done with ease! At 10 bucks you can't go wrong!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts