Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a truck with 33,000 miles on it. Is there any way to tell if the Allison spin on is the original or not? I was told it had been changed but when I changed it it had a small grey paint spot on it that raised my curiosity.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
i think they all do its a weld spot isnt it?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
i would change it just to be sure...

As soon as I bought mine I switched just about every fluid I could. That way YOU have a record of it being done and you know whats in it.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
it may be a reference point so that you can see it turning.

Kinda like a cue ball with a circle on it.....but different lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just concerned that it possibly had 34,000 miles with the stock spin-on. It works fine so I'm not going to worry. It was only used to pull a camper a few times before I got it and the factory maintenance book says to change at first oil change and then at like 40,000 or 50,000 miles.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
i change mine with every oil change usually 15-20k with amsoil.

I also drain the fluid from the tranny pan....and replace with fresh stuff. just to keep it nice and good and sludge free.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i change mine with every oil change usually 15-20k with amsoil.

I also drain the fluid from the tranny pan....and replace with fresh stuff. just to keep it nice and good and sludge free.
I'm running dino oil and changing at 5,000 so I will prolly do every other oil change on the spin-on. Sounds like a good idea on draining the trans pan too.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
If you change the trans fluid pull the pan down and replace the othr filter in the pan. Im geting ready to do mine with 30,000 on my truck :cool:
yeah i think i need to that soon...almost 35k miles on the ole SC4...and no internal change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you change the trans fluid pull the pan down and replace the othr filter in the pan. Im geting ready to do mine with 30,000 on my truck :cool:
I hadn't planned on changing out the internal when I change my stock fluid with trynsend but have changed my mind. It's pretty cheep insurance.

·
Dead beat seller!
1,060 Posts
i would say it was a quick lube center and they put the paint dot on there so they know its theirs and they dont get scamed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i would say it was a quick lube center and they put the paint dot on there so they know its theirs and they dont get scamed
Good point. Hadn't thought of that and the guy did have his servicing done at a quick lube. He was pretty anal about things so I was finding it hard to believe that it hadn't been changed.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
If it is a orange Allison filter I doubt they changed it........

·
Registered
138 Posts
I read on alldatadiy that the internal tranny filter only needs to be changed in the event of an overhaul.? Anybody else ever heard that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read on alldatadiy that the internal tranny filter only needs to be changed in the event of an overhaul.? Anybody else ever heard that?
That's what I have read also. But what the heck, I'm going to install a Transgo jr. kit so why not go ahead and spend 28 bucks for the internal filter as insurance since it is exposed. I will be using the hoot method also when putting in the trynsend synthetic fluid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts