Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an upgrade that doesn't cost an arm and leg? The bully dog shift kit is coming out tomorrow, it actually makes the tranny run worse.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Get the suncoast (transgo) shift kit. The bullydog isn't that great as you have found out. I believe it runs about 200. Check it out at suncoastconverters.com.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yup, check out Suncoast. For the Allison they are king! They have a few upgrades available. I know its spendy, but the ultimate would be their 6 speed upgrade. You get a performance tuned VB and a new TCM to make your 5 speed into a 6 speed! You get one more gear and all the benifits of a performance VB.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Suncoast all the way..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can I ask, how you get an extra gear out of the tranny with just upgrades?

·
Registered
53 Posts
allison uses a combination of clutch pacs. someone can correct me if i am wrong but i think it goes like this:

1st gear c1 and c5
2nd gear c1 and c4
3rd gear c1 and c3
4th gear c1 and c2
5th gear c2 and c3

6th gear c2 and c4

the tcm and vb just are made to use the extra combination

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does any body have info on this problem .I have a 2008 2500hd 104000 miles no trouble till now.I tow a 15000lbs goose neck.Exceleration is fine all the way to 6th gear after converter lock up and i slow down to stop I get a vibration like she going to stall.Tranny down shifts but fells like converter is still lock up.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
allison uses a combination of clutch pacs. someone can correct me if i am wrong but i think it goes like this:

1st gear c1 and c5
2nd gear c1 and c4
3rd gear c1 and c3
4th gear c1 and c2
5th gear c2 and c3

6th gear c2 and c4

the tcm and vb just are made to use the extra combination
I'm new to the diesel truck market only having had my truck coming up on a year, I used to play with little domestic tuners, which is why I'm going to school at UTI for Diesel Technology.

I haven't been at school long and I haven't covered transmissions yet and I'm curious: is this how the Allison transmission works?

·
Time For A Engine Build!!
186 Posts
First Gear
C1 and C5 Applied
3.10 to 1
Second Gear
C1 and C4 Applied
1.81 to 1
Third Gear
C1 and C3 Applied
1.41 to 1