Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have not been on here for a little time now could not get into the forums but got that fixed now.
I have been having issues with the transmission on my chevy truck its a 2003 with a 5 speed allison transmission only has 160 thousand miles on it. Its real rough changing when its cold and sometimes refuses to go to overdrive until i reach 3000 rpm and take my foot off the gas for a second , this has been getting worse for some time now and now i have the service engine light on all the time i have not read codes yet but that is not why i come seeking advise.
i have found a transmission from a chevy 2003 truck its a allison 1000 transmission but it had a 801 gas engine in front of it. Would it be the same gear ratio.s and would it have the same bell housing as my plan is to purchase it rebuild it and then have a local garage install it for me i am getting to old to lift transmissions when lying on my back. Would the torque converter be the same, as when i did a service on my transmission i found metal flakes in the oil its not good and would prefer not to use parts out of it sorry it a long post thanks for any replies mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears my name and password seem to be screwed up again it does not let me in again but i will try to read all replys thanks mike

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Allison is the same but converter is different internaly. Way too loose for the diesel engine.
So he could use the transmission but with a diesel converter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Thanks for the replies as i mentioned in first post the flakes of steel worry me so a new converter would not be out of place at all
if i rebuild it as a winter project i can rebuild it with all the upgrades that i think i need. As this is a starting point the raybestos clutches are supposed to be the best there is but are twice the price of other rebuild kits anyone have any in put on this. What should i upgrade ? to make this a better unit thanks mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts