Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was doing some testing over the weekend to get ready for the diesel nationals here in texas next week. I was almost hitting 1500 degrees EGTs! Reading from the Edge and probe put where manual says to! Running stock exhaust no muffler, K&N but pulled out for racing. If i take the alerts off and the safety override off so it doesnt back down. I was hitting 58% + of backdown if i keep the safety measures on. I know that is pretty scary and high!!! But it doesnt hit that high til 3rd and into 4th! Any suggestions? Hesitant to put on PPE boost valve with such high EGTs!

·
Registered
132 Posts
ppe boost valve will give you more boost and more boost = lower egt's. i've seen my guage pegged 1600+ when sledpulling w/ my stock turbo. as long as you aren't up that high for an extended period of time you'll be ok.

on edit: you should have a mechanical boost guage when increasing boost.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Maybe this is just me....but I was told rule of thumb to never put a tune in a truck with a stock exhaust. Getting an aftermarket exhaust will let your truck breathe better and it will lower EGT's. And also....not sure how you are on this...but after all the research I've done...I was told running a K&N CAI is bad for your truck because it sucks oil and dirt into your truck, therefore decreasing performance. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What mods are you running? Bang for the buck you are going to get more out of a turbo charger upgrade. It will introduce a more efficient charge of air which means more cooler air. This should result in a real drop of 200-250 deg. :gearjamin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
straight piped stock sized exhaust, switched to AfE filter, Edge Juice w/Attitude, PPE boost valve! Gettin rid of this truck soon for a newer duramax!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts