Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a 17 year old and I just bought my first diesel - 2003 sierra LB7 with 180k miles. Its in amazing condition and I'm looking to do some upgrades to it. I've been looking at the Airdog 100gph lift pump, but after reading some other threads, someone mentioned the "Duramax Dual Fuel Filter"

Duramax Fuel Filter Kit

I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on this kit or any reviews/experience. Again, Im brand new to the diesel world and know the importance of a lift pump. Just thought this one looked good, quality and price wise.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Don’t do it.

There is a thread on here about doing your own lift pump for about $50 dollars. Then you’ll know how it works. For about $150 you can put on an additional filter. Let your lift pump suck fuel through a water separator filter first, then push the fuel through a secondary filter, then on to the filter on your engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. Looks like a clean set up. Does anyone have first hand experience?

Mikey52, do you know where i can find this thread?

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone?? Hpoing to order asap. Looks to be a decent quality unit considering it uses a cat/donaldson filter, but then again, you guys are the experts! Let me know any other opinions

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Compare all the products and install and what your getting for your money hoses are used not metal 90’s and the price isn't all that great for IMO a Mickey mouse set-up.
All you need is a AirDog 4g100 or FASS 95 nothing bigger or even Kennedy all three outshine and are proven liftpumps compared the kit your really wanting to pull the trigger on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Gonna pull the trigger on an Airdog

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Do NOT go larger than the 100.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
See, right away someone has to talk bad about anything other than Kennedy, when they don't know any better on how they function.
Get the facts first, but this is typical with Kennedy LP owners, only buy/use what I've bought.
All 3 are good quality LP's

Your over exaggerating on how AirDog and FASS functions.
There is NOT a constant flow to the ENGINE, only to the liftpump, what's not used by the engines demand (lead foot) returns back to the tank via return line from the liftpump.
The ONLY time you'll have air in the return line is when a customer falls for buying the larger LP's 150, 165 with a faster flow (larger 3,000rpm motor), not needed unless your planning on having 600 plus HP.

I went from a FP-100 (first model) to a 4G165 (warranty) having this Niagara falls return with air bubbles you mentioned then back to a 4G100 (new model 2,000 rpm motor) nothing but fuel returning with no air in the fuel viewing inside the fuel fill neck.
I would prefer to have fuel readily available to the engine with the push of my lead foot.

Oh, did I mention you have a lifetime warranty on AirDog and FASS motors.:wink2:

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
There are hundreds of thousands of trucks running fass/airdog pumps. I've never once had anyone come to me and say golly jeeze nic my lift pump is making so much air in my fuel idk what to do. Yes most people opt for the bigger pump gause goals change and the price isnt that much of a difference. It's not going to hurt anything though. Throw the 3 into a hat and pick one. I like Kennedy pumps and john is a stand up guy and really nice. But for whatever reason you Kennedy pump guys act like your momma said I says they them pumps there are the devil with all them air bubbles

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
To be honest the LP the OP first asked about looks like a Kennedy style pump, centrifugal, magnetic pump.

Duramax Fuel Filter Kit

That setup includes the bracket, two filters and mounts for them both and is less expensive than a comparable Kennedy pump with filters.

It has a neat and tidy install. All it really needs is two shut off valves on each end to keep from siphoning and having to re-prime the pumps. Easily added!!

You have to supply your own wiring but how hard is it to run a cable with 2 wires?

If I were shopping for a LP Id seriously consider that one as well.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
To be honest those 90’s will cause a little flow restriction.
If he installed hose (like AD & FASS) instead of those 4 90’s you’d have a nice sweep bend that would be much better for flow.
AD you get 3 hoses to have a larger sweeping bend one has a larger 90 off the LP which is only for the return line.
There’s a reason the hoses are what they are for better flow.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
You have to supply your own wiring but how hard is it to run a cable with 2 wires?
It's more than that.

means that you are generating air on the return to the tank.
And the reference was to the return fuel fire hydrant dumping 100gph of fuel back in to the tank....making air.

Nice scolding though, from the crowd that can't read. :howdy

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
To be honest those 90’s will cause a little flow restriction.
If he installed hose (like AD & FASS) instead of those 4 90’s you’d have a nice sweep bend that would be much better for flow.
AD you get 3 hoses to have a larger sweeping bend one has a larger 90 off the LP which is only for the return line.
There’s a reason the hoses are what they are for better flow.
They are nice long sweep ELLs so the flow restriction would be minimal.

Considering that your AD or my FASS both return MUCH more fuel to the tank than goes to the engine I do not think any restriction caused by those ells would significantly affect the delivery of fuel to the engine.

Dont get me wrong I like the recirculation/polishing the fuel through the filters multiple times of the AD FASS, but this looks to me to be an elegant well thought out system.

It's more than that.
Not really....

From their website
"WIRING THE PUMP: This is as simple as wiring a new accessory on your truck (aux. lights, radar
detector, CB radio, etc). We recommend you do your own research online on this, as there are several
options available for different year models of the Duramax. The pump wiring is at your own discretion for
your vehicle and personal safety. The pump draws less than 2 amps on start up, so your best bet is to have
a fused circuit that only provides power when the key is in the start/run position. "

2 amps, at startup, you could use #16 wire safely.

Ground can be to the bolts holding the bracket to the frame if you wish, or could be carried in a jacket with the hot lead all the way to the engine Comp and direct to the Neg bat if desired. You could wire in a solenoid but at 2 amps it is hardly necessary, the 2 or 3 amp fuse would blow if there were a short.

For the hot, a simple "Add-a-Fuse" in the under hood box would work just fine, easy peasy.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Now that all the professional diesel ******** has given their blinded opinions, I doubt you’d find a racer that knows performance would have sharp 90’s and those aren’t mild sweeping bends.
So many compare the flow as being equal between the 95, 100 and 150-165 as being equal.
But it understandable when they’ve never owned a AirDog 100 or FASS 95 to not know the differences.

As usual a simple thread goes stupid with multiple ******* opinions.
And as usual the Kennedy people trash other products, all are one sided they only promote what they own.
None has the decency to say all 3 are good and will work for whatever you’d like.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Not really....
Followed by 10+ lines of script for what's needed. :rofl

Fused power.
Relay.
Trigger wire for relay.

Not complicated, but more than a couple of wires.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
I doubt you’d find a racer that knows performance would have sharp 90’s
C'mon now....everybody knows 90s sling velocity. :teehee
That's how we got back from the Moon, right? :rof

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Are we sure that the same guys that went to the moon came back to earth. 'dunno;

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Well on this ******** 1000+++hp race truck all my lines run straight to a fleece fuel distribution block for that reason. No sharp bends, kinks, etc. All 3 pumps are good. Shit let's throw another wrench in and bring up fuel lab pumps ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts