Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The alternator bought on two years ago and it is not working properly now.
The fins inside the alternator are hitting the housing.I had autozone test it the bearings are bad or there is something loose inside.
They said this alternator can be repaired and at cost of $30.I think the repairing cost is quite a bit.Because I only spent $80 on this alternator which was bought at Hexautoparts.com.
If alternators can be repaired reliably at a fraction of the cost then I would tend towards handing the car over to autozone.
If not,I perfer to buy a new alternator replacement.
Please advice.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I've never heard of Autozone fixing an alternator. However, if there is a generator/alternator repair shop near you, that's where I would go. They will tell you their price and maybe their opinion of the probability of the repair being successfully made.

Reactions: J83

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I put a Delco reman on my truck at around 230k miles. It's still going at 407k miles and almost 10 years later. That's what I'd do. I learned a long time ago that most reman stuff, especially purchased at local auto parts store is just junk. Delco reman stuff is quite different.

Rockauto has them for around $100. Never screw with it again.

Reactions: J83
1 - 3 of 3 Posts