Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Truck is in storage, but from what I remember there is 1-2" of clearance between the side of the filter and the torsion bar. Its enough that I can get my hand between them.
Thanks!

How long have you had it on there? Any road debris damage?

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's a good question... I'll have to do some inquiring at the hose and fitting shop that I purchased it from. I did however go back in my basement to my parts room and did some digging around to see what AmsOil sent for hose with my original kit. The hose in the box is Parker 293-8 Air Brake hose.
Here's a link to some specs on it; Air Brake Hose (293) | Industrial Hose and Hydraulics
I also found I have a leftover piece, but I remember I couldn't use it because it was too short. I may just switch it out. Because I went with 1/2" fittings I'll probably get the 293-10 hose.
Good eye and good thinking! Thanks!!
Looks like that hose is good from -50 to 300*F. A good hose, I might use the same hose for my setup come spring (custom, not amsoil or the like). http://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/air-brake-hose-293/293-10

I'm currently using Parker 801 for fuel line, which is -40 to 250*F for oil use (in case anyone wants to know which hoses are good for what).

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks!

How long have you had it on there? Any road debris damage?
Its been on there since 2006. Put it on at 30,000 miles and now the truck has 170K+. No damage to the filters or any of the lines. Truck doesn't get driven much in the last 6 years. Basically its used for hunting and the occasional local trip.

I also installed an Air Dog at just over 100k on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Its been on there since 2006. Put it on at 30,000 miles and now the truck has 170K+. No damage to the filters or any of the lines. Truck doesn't get driven much in the last 6 years. Basically its used for hunting and the occasional local trip.

I also installed an Air Dog at just over 100k on the odometer.
Nice, I may just install it and see what happens without a guard for a little while. Most of my miles will be highway so if anything hits it, probably wouldn't be gentle...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Nice, I may just install it and see what happens without a guard for a little while. Most of my miles will be highway so if anything hits it, probably wouldn't be gentle...
Truck made 2 round trips from south of Houston Texas to Milwaukee Wisconsin about 6 months after the install. Truck also made numerous trips from Houston to Baton Rouge. Lots of Highway miles.

2 years of hunting trips from South of Houston to West of Moscow TX. Lease road from paved road was about 4.5 miles and all of hunting season it was "MESSY". Several times truck was sideways pulling the single axle trailer through some spots. When they closed the lease, it rained the week before we pulled everything out. One spot of road about 100 yards long was deep enough that the tongue jack on the trailer left a groove int he mud along with the differential. Still no damage to the filters on either the bypass or air dog. Drain on Air Dog did have mud stuck to it in places I could not explain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bmk-27,right? I installed the same kit on my truck in September of 2016. Are you sure that bend in the oil line will not be an issue over time?
Was just on the Amsoil website and it looks as though they modified the mount so that the hoses both come out the same side. They also offer an optional sampling valve. Plus it comes with a bracket that looks a lot like yours.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Was just on the Amsoil website and it looks as though they modified the mount so that the hoses both come out the same side. They also offer an optional sampling valve. Plus it comes with a bracket that looks a lot like yours.

That is the same filter housing I put on my truck in about 06. The only thing they have changed in the kit is the engine filter adapter. IIRC the OP said he contacted Amsoil about doing inlet and outlet hoses on opposite ends of the unit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
IIRC the OP said he contacted Amsoil about doing inlet and outlet hoses on opposite ends of the unit.
I didn't remember seeing that, but I wonder why. What would be the advantage of having to run a long hose around a 180 degree loop?

Also, other than making it easier to change the oil, are there significant benefits to spending the $400 or so on this? Does it increase the oil life, saving money, or is it just a matter of better filtration and cleaner oil?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I didn't remember seeing that, but I wonder why. What would be the advantage of having to run a long hose around a 180 degree loop?

Also, other than making it easier to change the oil, are there significant benefits to spending the $400 or so on this? Does it increase the oil life, saving money, or is it just a matter of better filtration and cleaner oil?
If you are willing to do oil analysis, then you can possibly get longer oil life. Most I ran on their synthetic with analysis was 30,000 miles with 3 main filter changes and one bypass filter change. Had I waited on the results from the analysis, i could have gone to 40,000 miles on the oil.

More filtration is always a better thing. The nice thing about that setup is that you do not loose oil to the bypass filtration. All of the oil that goes in stays in the lube circuit. Some bypass filters take a small portion of oil, filter it, then dump it back into the pan. If you look at the PPE [http://www.ppediesel.com/shop/oil-centrifuge-filtration-kit-gm-6-6l-duramax-2001-2004-lb7-and-2004-5-2005-lly-114010000.html] centrifugal filter, it does just that. Takes oil from the supply loop, centrifuge filters it, then drops it back into the pan.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

So, the bracket that came with the system was designed to be mounted on the top of the unit. Years ago when it was mounted on my cummins it was mounted between the engine and front bumper. I wanted to get it as high as I could, so I could gain another inch by installing their L bracket on the bottom of the unit but it needed to be modified. So I used the filters as the radius template and cut the half circles out of it.

The reason for the longer loop was because the hose coming off the side of the filter adapter going to the unit was so short and had such an angle on it, the hose was starting to kink. So I had to make it longer and come in from the other end.

This unit is an older unit. I believe I bought it back in 2002 or 2003. I thought the newer units have the same capability as mine of which end the fittings go on. I may switch to a different hose in the spring and at that point I'm going to see if I can get a 90* fitting installed on the unit to make the hose bend a 90* instead of a 180*. The hose is rated at 180* temp. I can't imagine the oil being that hot going thru it, but I'd rather have some overkill.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So, the bracket that came with the system ... but I'd rather have some overkill.
Thanks. It was a great explanation and I appreciate the follow-up comments. I'm going to pick one of these up when time comes to change the oil and mount it similar to yours. Seems easy enough now that you've done the difficult work of designing it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
So, the bracket that came with the system was designed to be mounted on the top of the unit. Years ago when it was mounted on my cummins it was mounted between the engine and front bumper. I wanted to get it as high as I could, so I could gain another inch by installing their L bracket on the bottom of the unit but it needed to be modified. So I used the filters as the radius template and cut the half circles out of it.

The reason for the longer loop was because the hose coming off the side of the filter adapter going to the unit was so short and had such an angle on it, the hose was starting to kink. So I had to make it longer and come in from the other end.

This unit is an older unit. I believe I bought it back in 2002 or 2003. I thought the newer units have the same capability as mine of which end the fittings go on. I may switch to a different hose in the spring and at that point I'm going to see if I can get a 90* fitting installed on the unit to make the hose bend a 90* instead of a 180*. The hose is rated at 180* temp. I can't imagine the oil being that hot going thru it, but I'd rather have some overkill.
Amsoil sells the 90 adapters.

I see 20* to 30* above water temp on the oil when pulling the 12' single axle utility trailer. Even empty I think its about 15-20 over water temp. So at 185* water temp I see between 200* and 215* oil temps.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Amsoil sells the 90 adapters.

I see 20* to 30* above water temp on the oil when pulling the 12' single axle utility trailer. Even empty I think its about 15-20 over water temp. So at 185* water temp I see between 200* and 215* oil temps. I am taking oil temp at the filter head, so those are the temps that are going through the filters.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you are seeing those temps at the filter head, that's enough proof for me to switch out the hoses.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am running the hose that Amsoil sends with the kit. After over 10 years, no issues. Thinking about ordering new hose and a filter adapter (mine is the old cast aluminum one and leaks).

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The cast aluminum is the one that came with this one also. I know you can replace the o-ring on it . That may be your leak issue, unless the adapter is cracked. I can get you the part number off my instruction/parts sheet if you like.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have replaced the o-ring several times. I think its more in the way the cast one mounts. The o-ring gets cooked after a while and starts leaking.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The new adapter has an o-ring on it but it's a flat surfaced one that's much bigger unlike the small round one found on the old style. Installing the new one was a little weird. It uses a center fitting with a round o-ring on it that goes thru the main adapter with the flat o-ring on it. As you are tightening it down it seems like the center fitting is taking all the abuse and the main adapter o-ring is just seating on the filter surface. I guess they are using the same concept at the flat o-ring on a oil filter, they don't need much tightening and they don't leak.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Guys,

On the issue of the oil in the front of the pan, just and idea while not close to my truck to look, why couldn’t we as a drain plug to the front of the pan?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I know that's been mentioned on the forum before. I don't exactly know what the outcome was if someone did it. I figure if you gotta go under the truck to drill a hole in the pan, tap threads in it, and hope a new drain plug doesn't leak, (which I've never had good luck fixing leaking drain plug issues on oil pans on previous vehicles) you might as well do the easy removal of the crossmember, one other bolt that's in the way of the removal of an oil pan bolt, and replace the factory pan with an aftermarket flat bottom pan. Of course the cost would be WAY more than an install of a drain plug, but for me it'd be worth not having to screw around with drain plug oil leaks.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts