Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need a new seal for the filter adapter. It's leaking around the seal, tightened it, fixed it, then it started leaking again, tightened it again. now the seal is pushing out and need to fix it right away. Can a guy take cork pad and cut it into a circle and tighten it up?

Here's the dimensions on the seal
3.45" Outside Diameter
3.11" Inside Diameter
0.261" Thick

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Leaking O-ring

Don't think Cork will work here ? Cork needs to be compressed 50% to seal. O-ring only 30% .Looks like this is an O-ring seal. Did the leaking one get nicked or twisted, oil or enough oil on it when installed? Retry with an other o-ring , good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, while i was under there looking at my oil leak, i realized the oil cooler is starting to sweat so i ordered a kit to rebuild it. And in my journeys i took those dimensions from amsoil, and realized that it sounds like the exact same dimensions as a stock oil filter seal. So i went to the parts store, bought a cheapie $5 oil filter for the rubber gasket. I will give it a try once i get my sleds out of my shop so i can rebuild my oil cooler assembly.

The stock oil filter gasket is 3.44" outside diameter so i'm hoping it works. Would be a good thing to know as i see a lot of people are having problems with them leaking. I might start having spare seals on hand in my truck and change them out when i change the oil.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Just remember while the gasket on the oil filter may be square cut the adapter is an o-ring and the gasket may not sit in the groove correctly enough to make a seal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My bypass adapter is leaking as well. Looks like the gasket is being pushed out by the oil pressure

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well for anyone looking for a new gasket on the adapter head, go to the local part store buy the cheapest oil filter for the duramax, then just take that rubber seal off the filter. Works like a charm, $5, and don't have to wait for amsoil to send you a new one.

Reactions: MoonDuramax
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.