Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be switching over to synthetic next oil change. So if someone could give me a price on everything that is needed to do this would be very much appreciated. Does the motor need to be flushed of the regular oil before I put in the new stuff? And shipped to 53214.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On a side note, is it wise to switch to sythetic oil after running dino for so long? I've heard tell that it's better to stick with dino. Is this a myth? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will be switching over to synthetic next oil change. So if someone could give me a price on everything that is needed to do this would be very much appreciated. Does the motor need to be flushed of the regular oil before I put in the new stuff? And shipped to 53214.
Go to amsoils website and you can see the prices. If you sign up as a preferred customer you get the discounted prices. I've found even if you only do 1 oil change a year it's worth the cost for signing up. I really like a lot of their products. I use the series 3000 heavy duty diesel oil in my 06. If you have a distribution center near you like I do you can opt for pickup there like I do and save shipping charges.

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
I cant quote prices in open forum. PM on the way.

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
On a side note, is it wise to switch to sythetic oil after running dino for so long? I've heard tell that it's better to stick with dino. Is this a myth? Thanks guys.
Are you having problems with burning or leaking oil now? How many miles are on the truck? We have had customers switch to AMSOIL after over 100k miles and have had absolutely no problems.

When synthetics first came out the additives in them were not designed to condition seals and so forth. Today's synthetics do that and more.

By using synthetics you will extend the life of your vehicle.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to say thank you to MRMANNERS for being very helpful and a quick response on switching me over to amsoil! Good luck with your new horse Willie!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pretty much a myth. I would just change out the oil filter after 3K miles since the synthetic will have a bit of a cleaning property.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got all my AMSOIL and plan on doing the switchover this weekend. I got 2 bottles of the engine flush with my package. Do I use both bottles of it or just one? Just to make sure I do not screw anything up, I add the flush to the old oil then idle for 10-15 minutes....correct? Is it best to start with a cold motor or warmed up? Thanks

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
I got all my AMSOIL and plan on doing the switchover this weekend. I got 2 bottles of the engine flush with my package. Do I use both bottles of it or just one? Just to make sure I do not screw anything up, I add the flush to the old oil then idle for 10-15 minutes....correct? Is it best to start with a cold motor or warmed up? Thanks
Yes you will want to use both bottles. For best results, though not required, I would get a cheap filter from your local parts house. This will make a little room for the flush you are going to add. Put the cheap filter on but do not drain the oil from the pan. Add both bottles of flush then let truck idle for 10-15 minutes. If possible elevate the front end to get as much oil out of the pan as possible. Then service like you normally would with the new oil and new filter.

If you have any more questions, just PM me.

Take care,

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are there directions on the can, cause I have a can of it on the way to use prior to converting my Mother's Envoy over to Amsoil.
I would venture a guess that the engine should be at operating temp, then pour it in. May also require draining some oil out via the oil filter so as not to over fill the crankcase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts