Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was released by Amsoil Just recently in the Amsoil Action News for October. This is a Magazine/Newsletter available to all Amsoil Dealers and preferred customers free of charge.

Anyone interested in more info or purchasing this new oil feel free to contact me either by PM or the Website link listed in my signature.

From the October issue of the Action News -

Synthetic 5W-40 Premium
Diesel Oil (DEO)
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil (DEO) is the premium choice
diesel oil for model year 2007 and newer heavy-duty and pickup truck diesel engines requiring API CJ-4 emission quality oil standards. It delivers
extraordinary lubrication in diesel engines found in commercial, fleet and personal vehicles. Formulated with the latest additive technology and the most advanced synthetic base oils, Synthetic 5W-40 Premium
Diesel Oil exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. It withstands the stress of heat, soot and acids to help prevent deposits, corrosion and wear, and its broad viscosity range offers superior protection
over a wide temperature range. Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil resists breakdown and is recommended for the longest service interval established by the engine, vehicle or equipment manufacturer. Drain intervals may be extended when monitored by oil analysis. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Oil is a low sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur formulation that meets
and exceeds modern specifications for emission quality diesel oil. It is compatible with all exhaust treatment devices and is designed to extend the service life of particulate filters.
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil replaces 5W-40, 10W-40 and 15W-40 viscosity oils. It is “backwards compatible” with pre-2007 diesel engines and recommended for newer and older diesel and
gasoline engines and other applications requiring the following
worldwide specifications:
• API CJ-4, CI-4+, CH-4, CF• API SM, SL, SJ... • ACEA E7• Mack EO-O Premium Plus• DDC Power Guard 93K218 • Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-1 • Cummins CES 20081 • Volvo VDS-4 • MB 228.3 • MTU Type II
Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil may be used in pre-2007 diesel engines, but for increased protection and performance for extended drain intervals, AMSOIL continues to recommend Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel
& Marine Motor Oil (AME), Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Oil (HDD) or Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Diesel Oil (ACD).

·
Registered
85 Posts
They have had a 5W-40 Synthetic diesel oil out for a good while now. Its in the past 2 catologs i have from them. Unless this is a different kind?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have had a 5W-40 Synthetic diesel oil out for a good while now. Its in the past 2 catologs i have from them. Unless this is a different kind?
The 5W-40 you are reffering to is the European Car Formula, (AFL). The new 5W-40 (DEO) is designed from the ground up as a replacement lubricant for motors meeting the tough new 2007 emission requirements, which will be very tough on oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm coming up on my first oil change, and am thinking about putting in an oil bypass filter and going to synthetic. Any advice / comments (good or bad) and if good, is the Amsoil system the way to go? I saw your comment on the 5w-40 for diesel. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Wheat -

The Dual filter Bypass kits rock. You move the full flow off teh block and mount both the full flow and the bypass in one loaction, remotely, where ever you want to. It really makes servicing simpler. Every 15K change both filters and the oil, the fuel filter and you are ready to rock and roll.

Obviously, I reccommend the Amsoil 15W-40, and you can save a bit of money getting your service filters (Fuel and Allison) from Amsoil as well. If you need some help just let me know. I have a program in place to allow you to purchase at dealer cost.:drink

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help me out. I just bought an '07. Decided to change the oil after 1800 miles since I was at the dealer picking up some parts for another car. Anyway, my Chevy dealer would not use synthetic oil. Something about the engine not being suited for synthetic. This sounds crazy to me. Am I the only one that's heard this????

Diesel Newbie...

Thanks!

Gary

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normally you like to run the motor on regular oil for a bit to break in the rings. I usually run about 5K miles on regular oil. As for the motor not being suited for it, I really have no idea what he means. Synthetic oils are still oils. Just more uniform and well engineered. Synthetics are probably the most misunderstood topic in automotive history.:confused:

On your next change, if you would like to go with a synthetic, I would recommend the Amsoil 15W-40 Diesel and Marine oil. Perfect for what you are going to need, unless you are in a super cold climate, then the 5W-30 HDD would be better for those cold starts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did buy the bypass and the 5w-40 DEO and hope to install it this weekend, if it ever stops raining. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finished the bypass install last weekend. Not too bad. It took a while to figure out where to put it, but once I decided the location it only took about 3 beers. :drink It is very tight and you need some patience. I sure wished I had a shorter drill motor, or a 90deg. That would have made it a breeze.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I think I am going to get the Dewalt cordless 90* just because of stuff like that.

You notice a difference in how the truck runs? Idle smoother?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really haven't noticed any difference in the way the truck runs. It has always purred like a kitten. My expectation is that in the long run the cleaner oil will make the engine last longer, reduce wear, prolong the oil life, and make serviceing easier. Cheap insurance.

I am interested in the fuel filter and spin on trans filter. I can't find the fuel filter in the amsoil web site. It has a number, 33910 but no reference.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will be looking into this first thing in the morning. I was not aware the fuel filter changed part numbers from the LLY to the LBZ. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Jason

·
Registered
46 Posts
duel filter bypass

How much is this Duel filter bypass kit $$ , and are they available at any auto parts store ( dealer ) .
Does the LBZ Duramax engine count as a 2007 motor or 2006 , since its in the 2007 model year truck until the new style 2007 come out in mid 07 with the new Diesel.
thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The bypass kit is available from Amsoil. I checked out other commercially available options, but couldn't find anything. This one seems pretty good. It is well made, and not too bad to install. The cost was $235. Check out the Amsoil web site. There is a lot of information on it, instructions, benefits, etc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a link in my signature that will take you to my Amsoil Online store. The Dual Filter kits is a great unit and one main plus is both filters can be located remotely for easier servicing.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wheat -

Verified with Amsoil and with an install myself, the Part Number for the previous years is correct. PN - P550743

·
Dmax 4M 4EVER!
53 Posts
Hey post some pics of your filter install if you can... I will post mine next week.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts