Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do a lot of you guys out there have a lot of trouble-free miles on your Allisons?

Are you using a downloader and other Mods with the stock Tranny?

I ask these questions because I was contimplating getting a new trans from either Suncoast, ATS, or BD. The prices of these transmissions are pretty high.

I actually priced out buying a new Allison directly from Allison, purchasing a Suncoast or ATS aftermarket Converter, deep pan, and new cooler and the cost is a lot less.

I guess what I am saying is I am primarily going to be driving it daily and towing a racecar on the weekends(NO DRAGRACING with the truck and no more engine mods other than what I have now, which are minimal) Is it worth it to buy one of the Aftermarket High Performance transmissions and spend the extra cash? The Allison is a pretty stout piece from the factory...

Thanks Guys,
Chris

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The built Allison transmission have alot more done to them than just a torque converter. They have upgraded clutches, performance upgrades in the valve body, pump upgrades, ect. If you feel pretty good about working on your own truck, there is always a Stage IV kit from Suncoast that includes most everything you need to upgrade your Allison. They aren't that bad to work on, and if you are going to have it out on the ground to do a replacement, might not be a bad way to go. You could also have a local shop install it if you think its over your head.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was told that the allison trannys are just an allison case with GM guts inside :confused: Is this true? or another scare tactic by others who are jealous their vehicle transmissions are not nearly as tough as this one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like bullsh#t to me. I don't think allison would put their name on something that they didn't build.

·
Registered
132 Posts
from everything i've seen and read, allison on the outside = allison on the inside.
allison and gm have a contract to put the ally in gm trucks.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I was told that the allison trannys are just an allison case with GM guts inside :confused: Is this true? or another scare tactic by others who are jealous their vehicle transmissions are not nearly as tough as this one.
It is just a scare tactic from the other jealous owners. On some of the other forums people have taken pics of the internal parts. They all have the allison logo stamped on them.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 1000 is an Allison 1000. Its Allison from front to back, top to bottom. GM may have been looking over Allison's shoulders, but its definetly an Allison. Not to diffucult to work on either. Well designed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have seen that with a torque converter and valvebody upgrade they will usually stand another 150hp. The overall transmission is pretty good. Our valvebody keeps the clutch apply pressures up so that you dont slip 5th gear and put it into a limp mode. We now also have a multi-disk converter that will take anything you can throw at it. The stock converters tend to crack the front cover right where the mounting feet are, which then causes a leak. Give us a call and I can discuss in detail your options.:drink

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
We have seen that with a torque converter and valvebody upgrade they will usually stand another 150hp. The overall transmission is pretty good. Our valvebody keeps the clutch apply pressures up so that you dont slip 5th gear and put it into a limp mode. We now also have a multi-disk converter that will take anything you can throw at it. The stock converters tend to crack the front cover right where the mounting feet are, which then causes a leak. Give us a call and I can discuss in detail your options.:drink
I disagree that it will hold 150 hp extra with valvebody and converter. By your statement you are indicating that an LB7 will hold 400hp, LLY 410 hp, and LBZ, 450 hp. I have not found that to be true in my experience.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i know it won't hold together very long adding 160hp extra on a bone stock truck...don't ask how i know..i would think with a valve body and converter it should handle atleast an extra 120hp to 130hp quite nicely.maybe i'm wrong,anyone care to correct me..thanks james

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I disagree that it will hold 150 hp extra with valvebody and converter. By your statement you are indicating that an LB7 will hold 400hp, LLY 410 hp, and LBZ, 450 hp. I have not found that to be true in my experience.

Not to be argumentative here, but I have sold this combination to at least 50 trucks and they do work. I am not just going to come on here and blow smoke. I personally have ran in the 12s with this combination and it works.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Not to be argumentative here, but I have sold this combination to at least 50 trucks and they do work. I am not just going to come on here and blow smoke. I personally have ran in the 12s with this combination and it works.
It would stand a chance for a while with fresh C3 clutches but if there is any weakness there ( usually is ) it won't hold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts