Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thing is just a resonator right ? It clearly doesn't look like a cat to me but I wanted to be sure. This truck didn't have a cat from the factory right ? I have an 04 LB7 and have been thinking of putting an aftermarket set up on it. I wanted to go turbo back with 4" or 5". Being a truck driver I thoroughly enjoy turbo whine and wasn't sure about a muffler or just running it straight through ? I got a little bit of whine after putting on a cold air intake but the more the merrier. How much of a bitch is it to get at the down pipe off the turbo ? I was going to go with a stainless system even though it's more money or will aluminized last a long time ? Lastly, I have also consider the stacks that run up through the bed. I'm not so hot on the idea of cutting a whole in my bed plus I have a toolbox and would have to move it back several inches and it may not look right afterwards with the short bed and also the loss of space. Anybody have any experience with these stacks ? Thanks, T.K. :fart:)

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
That's what my Cat looks like....so to me..I'm saying it's a Cat. And to put a turbo back on...you will also need to get an EGR blocker plate and a "Fingers Stick" to block it from throwing codes. And if you live where there is alot of salt...then get a stainless. Because aluminized will rust easily. I would get stainless just because you get what you pay for. And as for stacks....(this is my opinion)....if you want to waste part of your bed, drill holes through a 43,000.00 truck, never have a taneau cover, and want to worry about water getting in them....then go for it. But me..you couldn't PAY ME to have stacks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it is a cat. I once had a car that had a resonator on it that looked very similar to that so it kinda threw me off. Plus a couple people have told me that some duramax's don't have cat's. Is that true ? Thanks

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
THats your cat, 04.5 lly trucks and up have a cat on them and IIRC 04 california lb7's have a cat on them to!

Most of the "turbo back systems only replace the exhaust from the clamp right infront of the cat pipe "front pipe" A 3" turbo down pipe is avaliable from a few places but has not shown any benifit over stock, the stock down pipe may be flat but it is plenty big enough for the turbo!!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
yep it's a kitty and now send it to it's reward or it's afterlife as some would say and do the T/B exhaust system and if you live in a area where you'll see salt stay away from the aluminized system..

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's what my Cat looks like....so to me..I'm saying it's a Cat. And to put a turbo back on...you will also need to get an EGR blocker plate and a "Fingers Stick" to block it from throwing codes. And if you live where there is alot of salt...then get a stainless. Because aluminized will rust easily. I would get stainless just because you get what you pay for. And as for stacks....(this is my opinion)....if you want to waste part of your bed, drill holes through a 43,000.00 truck, never have a taneau cover, and want to worry about water getting in them....then go for it. But me..you couldn't PAY ME to have stacks.

Yes that is the cat... :cool As an FYI, aluminum does not rust... it oxidizes steel rusts, stainless will to depending on the grade the more the nickel content the less likely to rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts