Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw alligator perf. egr block off plate for the LB7. I'm running a PPE on level 2 right now. If I use the blocking plate, am I still going to be able to drive the truck without a problem, and just a engine light on, or is it going to mess up more stuff?

I'm hoping the EGR is the problem - I've been noticing a bit of smoke after pulling the CAT off and running a 4" exhaust. after a couple minutes of idling, I'll notice white-ish smoke when i go to take off, like from a stoplight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
just a light, mine was blocked for a while, now removed. I shut it off with efi live. Keep an eye on your coolant level. Save your money for tranny build if you plan on going further. If I did it again I would do tranny first before anything else, then started building power. Lift pump with filtration big too, the more filtration the better. JMO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just a DD for me, I just switched over from a built 450 with a 7.3 to a freightliner M2 for my work rig. I added the tuner just for mileage. and some fun. I'm not going to go crazy with the truck, but I would like it NOT to smoke at idle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check the balance rates on injectors.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think only Cali LB7's have EGR. Smoke problem sounds like injectors to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i've been told only the cali trucks had a CAT as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I believe there are more than just California trucks out there with the EGR system. I don't recall the exact stats, but it isn't just CA.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I believe there are more than just California trucks out there with the EGR system. I don't recall the exact stats, but it isn't just CA.
False... For the lb7's it's just the California edition trucks that are equipped with the **** EGR.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app...

·
Registered
684 Posts
False... For the lb7's it's just the California edition trucks that are equipped with the **** EGR.

You are wrong and 9mmkungfu is correct.

Here is the break down of emissions for the LB7
YF5 is for the CA emissions
FE9 is Federal emissions with no EGR/CAT (NF4 federal emissions with EGR/CAT aka Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet Emissions).
NE1 is Northeast emissions this covers MA, ME, NY and/or VT. They have adopted the CA emissions package (some of these states opted in at different times, at least that is my understanding.)
VCL is Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet emissions and also will have the CA emissions package.

As you can see, CA emissions were adopted by various other states, not just CA. I have a good friend of mine in Florida that has a 2003 truck with the NF4 designation and he has a cat and an EGR.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

FE9 is Federal emissions with no EGR/CAT (NF4 federal emissions with EGR/CAT aka Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet Emissions).
NE1 is Northeast emissions this covers MA, ME, NY and/or VT. They have adopted the CA emissions package (some of these states opted in at different times, at least that is my understanding.)
VCL is Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet emissions and also will have the CA emissions package.

As you can see, CA emissions were adopted by various other states, not just CA. I have a good friend of mine in Florida that has a 2003 truck with the NF4 designation and he has a cat and an EGR.
Well untill mid to late 2004 California was was only clean emission state... Then came new jersey and Connecticut in late 2004. From what I have read

·
Registered
181 Posts

Are you sure about FE9? I had a VIN check on my vehicle and it says "FE9 - FEDERAL/NY/MA/ME/VT EMISSIONS". Here is a link to the posting here on the forum:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vin-check/104522-lb7-injectors-replaced-vin-check-please.html

It's the 14th one down, on the left column.

It also shows "NF2 - FEDERAL EMISSION SYSTEM".

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well untill mid to late 2004 California was was only clean emission state... Then came new jersey and Connecticut in late 2004. From what I have read

Some federal emissions or clean fleet emissions had them early one before the 2004 model year. The first year that Cat and EGR came on the CA emissions was 2002 MY. Also had a friend in Mass (NE1) with that crap on his truck and his was an 03. Another friend in Florida bought his 2003 truck used out of Texas and it had the NF4 designation with CAT and EGR.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Are you sure about FE9? I had a VIN check on my vehicle and it says "FE9 - FEDERAL/NY/MA/ME/VT EMISSIONS". Here is a link to the posting here on the forum:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vin-check/104522-lb7-injectors-replaced-vin-check-please.html

It's the 14th one down, on the left column.

It also shows "NF2 - FEDERAL EMISSION SYSTEM".
NF2 simply means Emissions System, Federal, Tier 1
Do you have a CAT or an EGR? FE9 is federal emissions with no cat nor EGR.
Perhaps NY/MA etc had not adopted the NE1 NG1 (CA) emissions yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my truck came from MA, an dit had a CAT and an EGR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts