Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Steve I bought my first Duramax in 2006 a LBZ dully to pull my 5th weel toy hauler loved the truck great power would pull anything i put behind it. Well Im also a carpenter in Missouri Housing well no need to explain sold my Dully, went without a truck for a while went to a 6.4 ford ahhh how i hated the gas millage, power was good it was a King ranch so nicely equiped, but once again sold and was with out a truck, Well 2 months ago bought a 2003 LB7 with fleet emissions VCL code, I only researched because when pulling my 5th wheel the LB7 was strugling a bit compared to the other 2 truck so I came to this forum and educated myself on the LB7. I love this truck so im looking for best things to do for Power to pull my Raptor which can weight upto 16k.. I installed [email protected] 57 series cold intake looking at edge evolution for tow power mods only. The truck has 124k miles, not looking for EVI live tunes just would like to monitor injector pressure since I noticed the LB7 has issues dont know when or if the injectors were replaced...? any thoughts before I look for power mods and wast money on things that dont work would be a great help thanks.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome. What part of missouri are you located in?

Not going to try to talk you in to EFI, so don't worry lol. You could always purchase an edge cts to monitor your injector balance rates. I would also recommend grabbing up a lift pump for the added filtration. Anything you can do to help make the injectors last longer the better, know what i mean? A lot of guys run the Airdog II 165 around here and swear by them. Seem to be one of the best options IMO. That, or for a cheaper alternative you can also run a nicktane setup for added filtration for a little cheaper initial cost.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Welcome. Tyler is right, lift pump is a must on an LB7. Also, a bigger exhaust will help her breath easier. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Town Called Raymore outside of Kansas City , I was looking at The evolutions cts by edge it looks like what I want, do you think I will need the EGT sensor if I only use the tow mods. I will read on the Air Dog ll, and the Lift pump, im not familer with either I have read about a second fuel filter but not a lift pump I appricate your fast response also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im totally confused on exhaust I have read that taking the cat off and blocking the EGR could cause back pressure and wont be good for engine or going to a 4inch could cause back pressure im just not sure what to do im looking for power to go up mountains of colorado to ride bikes at Taylor park next summer the way she climbs hills now is not going to do the job if you have time to explain exhaust MAN i would appriciate that. Thanks....

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Gotcha, you aren't so far away from me then. I'm in warrensburg. an airdog II 165 is just a specific lift pump man. honestly, i would run a mechanical boost gauge and pyro just to monitor these closer. Just a habit of mine, i don't like relying on electronics for everything, ya know? anyways.. to the exhaust..

you don't have to worry about back pressure or whatever else you've heard somewhere lol.

Our trucks run great with straight through exhaust. A lot of guys run a 4" straight turbo back setup, while others run 5". completely personal preference. A 4" will scream a little more up high, whereas the 5" will have a bit of a lower/deeper sound. Plus you have that lb7 so its going to absolutely growl with an exhaust. guys want their trucks to sound like an lb7 all the time lol. as far as brands go i went MBRP and haven't looked back since. I love mine. most don't worry about a down pipe for a while, as it can be added further down the road, but that's up to you. blocking the egr would be a good idea as well. just get a fingerstick and you don't have to worry about throwing and CELs

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks 02 fl, thanks Justin, tks Master, tks Redmax

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read the LB7 with emissions, has a vacume sensor for EGR and you need EFI to delete ECM EC, I dont think I want to put in a blocker plate, Im still trying to figure out what a down pipe is, thanks for the info on Exhaust, I went to school in Warransburg, so yes we are close thanks for the input I still have not read on the lift pump but that is were im headed now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts