Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a regen 4 days ago, that I thought I completed because yesterday I was towing around town doing some mowing for my business and of course I was not regenning . Well this morning it started another regen cycle . Is this normal ? I do a lot of short trips and all around town driving so I understand def frequency in that sense . But literally 1 day of regen break that back to it ? Seems odd

·
Ain't lookin' back
280 Posts
I'm currently experiences a similar situation. I'll regen anywhere between 82-290 miles. It just all depends on your driving profile. As you mentioned, you do a lot of short trips, which I believe is what is causing the frequent regens.

Now, since I've been driving the truck about 38 miles each way and most of it is highway, I'm sitting at 30% accumulation with 159 miles since last regen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm currently experiences a similar situation. I'll regen anywhere between 82-290 miles. It just all depends on your driving profile. As you mentioned, you do a lot of short trips, which I believe is what is causing the frequent regens.

Now, since I've been driving the truck about 38 miles each way and most of it is highway, I'm sitting at 30% accumulation with 159 miles since last regen.

Alright cool thanks . It only regened for about an hour . Of stop and go (was mowing in town this morning) then stopped . Do you ever have extremely short regen cycles without taking the highway ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had a similar issue with regens about every 50 miles i took the truck to the dealer and they reprogrammed the module. Now i'm deleted so that fixed the problem all together

Thanks boss , my truck only has 700 miles on it so I’m far far away from messing with anything that voids warranty

·
Ain't lookin' back
280 Posts
Alright cool thanks . It only regened for about an hour . Of stop and go (was mowing in town this morning) then stopped . Do you ever have extremely short regen cycles without taking the highway ?

Went back through some logs I have access to (don't have my phone with me) and the shortest duration of miles to regen was 44 miles. So, from the completion of a regen I went probably 38-39 miles before it started the regen process again.

Coming from an LML (2011.... 61K before I did a full delete due to issues that couldn't be fixed), I distinctly remember the regens between much farther in between. The one thing that makes believe that nothing is wrong is when we do our road trips, I can go beyond 300 miles between regen cycles. The stop and go's and short trips warrant more frequent regens. Hope that all made sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went back through some logs I have access to (don't have my phone with me) and the shortest duration of miles to regen was 44 miles. So, from the completion of a regen I went probably 38-39 miles before it started the regen process again.

Coming from an LML (2011.... 61K before I did a full delete due to issues that couldn't be fixed), I distinctly remember the regens between much farther in between. The one thing that makes believe that nothing is wrong is when we do our road trips, I can go beyond 300 miles between regen cycles. The stop and go's and short trips warrant more frequent regens. Hope that all made sense.

Yessir I understand that , thanks for the reply . I only hit the highway when I brought her home 30 miles away. The rest is all city but I haul my 8.5x16 landscaping trailer 3-4 times a week with it . Today I’m heading north for some quading so she’ll be lovinnn those hills .

·
Registered
24 Posts
A regen every 20-50 miles is pretty insane. Regen for an hour? What is your average MPG? It sounds like your truck might be operating as programmed, but your driving pattern must be the absolute worst case scenario for the emissions system. Even though the truck is designed to handle the heat and stress of regen, I would be worried about longevity...

Just my two cents though. My truck regens about every 300 miles and it lasts for ~15 minutes, even on 45 MPH side roads. When I see it start I like to extend my drive a little if necessary to let it finish before I turn off the truck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A regen every 20-50 miles is pretty insane. Regen for an hour? What is your average MPG? It sounds like your truck might be operating as programmed, but your driving pattern must be the absolute worst case scenario for the emissions system. Even though the truck is designed to handle the heat and stress of regen, I would be worried about longevity...

Just my two cents though. My truck regens about every 300 miles and it lasts for ~15 minutes, even on 45 MPH side roads. When I see it start I like to extend my drive a little if necessary to let it finish before I turn off the truck.

It’s not every 20-50 miles, just last regen was a very short cycle . They’re more like every 150-200. That last regen was weird it only lasted about 10 minutes lol. My average mph is 11 during my normal week stuff . I get it to 30-50 mph on the side roads , but most my drives are 4-5 miles apart . My work is 4 miles one way not counting after when I mow my landscaping lawns . I don’t let it idle besides morning warm up. Lot of shutting down and restarting when I mow my lawns . I do 5-6 a night.

at 800 miles I did ide say 3-4 regens . Possibly 5. I’m up in Vermont right now first 300 mile ride towing 6k + people and gear. So deff was loving these hills.

I am working on getting a beater for the winter tho. Spent a lot of Dam money this year

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t normally ever take the highway tho. I did when I brought it home but everything I do is in town . So idk. I’m sure these trucks can handle all driving conditions..

·
Registered
525 Posts
My '18 would regen 100-200mi when only doing short hops and local towing, once was under 100mi. but towing on highway would go as long as 650mi between.
I just had my first regen on my 2020 my driving has been mostly the short local trips, 700mi on truck..!!
I am hoping this is the new normal, obviously GM has changed the software.

Reactions: DirtyBranflakes

·
Registered
218 Posts
It probably didn’t finish the first regen, then tried to finish the next day after it got up to temp and the required speed was met for it to start. As short and slow as your trips normally are, it is going to have a difficult time starting or completing a regen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It probably didn’t finish the first regen, then tried to finish the next day after it got up to temp and the required speed was met for it to start. As short and slow as your trips normally are, it is going to have a difficult time starting or completing a regen.

I was letting it idle a lot because I originally thought that it will clear soot with elevated idle. When it went back to normal idling revs I shut it down. So possibly it just went back to normal Revs because I sat for too long and continued the regen the next day. Now that I know it will only clear soot over 30 I will not be doing that.

I also went ahead yesterday and bought me a daily driver to work. I can’t see getting all this oil warmed up every single day here in New England weather to drive 3.5 miles to work.

Here’s my new mini! 106k miles 1 owner.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My LP5 has slowly but surely reduced regen times & frequency as the mileage goes up. I am the worst enemy when in a regen often times as I'll be specifically go somewhere or just prior to getting somewhere or home when it goes in and thus it doesn't see the full regen cycle. Next time I start it doesn't seem to automatically continue where it left off but often the second or third start it will go to regen again.

I suspect that is what you are witnessing...

When I first got this LP5 it was eating DEF, I was somewhat shocked but seemed to remember the 2015 did very similar.

Much better now... fill the tank about every 3 -4 months now instead of every two - three weeks when it was new.

Reactions: DirtyBranflakes

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My LP5 has slowly but surely reduced regen times & frequency as the mileage goes up. I am the worst enemy when in a regen often times as I'll be specifically go somewhere or just prior to getting somewhere or home when it goes in and thus it doesn't see the full regen cycle. Next time I start it doesn't seem to automatically continue where it left off but often the second or third start it will go to regen again.

I suspect that is what you are witnessing...

When I first got this LP5 it was eating DEF, I was somewhat shocked but seemed to remember the 2015 did very similar.

Much better now... fill the tank about every 3 -4 months now instead of every two - three weeks when it was new.

Thanks for you reply . I still only have 1350 miles. I would assume there’s a lot of factory junk to clean

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Best thing you can do with a new one is to fill the DEF tank to the top.

The factory doesn't fill fuel or def tanks.

Many dealers will fill fuel tanks and brag about it.
Many (most?) dealers will not fill def tanks.

Makes if real tough to determine how much it's really using.

DEF is used whenever the engine is running.
The amount is will be in proportion to the amount of fuel burned.
(somewhere around 1.5 or 2 gallons of def per 100 gallons or fuel)

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
hat.

I also went ahead yesterday and bought me a daily driver to work. I can’t see getting all this oil warmed up every single day here in New England weather to drive 3.5 miles to work.

Here’s my new mini! 106k miles 1 owner.

Seems like an excellent idea 3.5 miles trips!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like an excellent idea 3.5 miles trips!

Yeah man . These cold mornings are starting and the extra idling to drive literally 3.5 to my
Job just isn’t a good idea for the modern diesel emissions.

Not counting I still don’t even have a dam block heater cord lol. Starting to get cold here in CT and I’m not trying to let this thing idle for 20-30 min a day just to get to work and home 7 mile round trip. Hopefully my little guy lasts me awhile..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Best thing you can do with a new one is to fill the DEF tank to the top.

The factory doesn't fill fuel or def tanks.

Many dealers will fill fuel tanks and brag about it.

Many (most?) dealers will not fill def tanks.

Makes if real tough to determine how much it's really using.

DEF is used whenever the engine is running.

The amount is will be in proportion to the amount of fuel burned.

(somewhere around 1.5 or 2 gallons of def per 100 gallons or fuel)

Funny you say this I had 500 miles or so and it
Went to 30% def capacity .. I said same thing no way they topped that off before I bought it . Had to buy a 2.5 gallon tank and used a gallon of My buddies . Been at ok since with almost 1400 miles . Thanks !

1 - 20 of 52 Posts