Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Silverado HD 2500 LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy people,

so I've been noticing something with my LBZ lately, kind of been doing it since the day i bought it last year in feb 2020. i bought the LBZ bone stock other then a lift kit and tires, and it had 96k miles on it. I had to get it smogged for the transfer of ownership and right before i got it smogged, the truck threw the p2563 code. i reset it with a reader and it went away and didn't come back. After the smog it started to come and go randomly, id reset it and it'll go away for a while. I would get the p0003 code sometimes, and the p2563 come sometimes. i bought a Edge CTS3 insight and have been watching the truck when it does this. what im noticing happening is the vanes will cycle 0-100, hold at 80 during idle, and so forth. But the only time i'm throwing the codes is right after startup. I notice when i start the truck cold, or warmed up sometimes, the vanes will be at like 63. they wont budge, i can physically hear my 4" exhaust note sound differently. after a minute or so the vanes will cycle and everything will be good. Sometimes when i start to drive the vanes will open and go through their normal cycle. Just kinda weird and i notice when either of those codes pop it'll be if i let the truck idle and the vanes done move for a bit. I'm not sure where to start, it seems the vane position sensor is functioning fine, but i don't know whether i need to swap that, or swap the oil driven actuator.

any advice is greatly appreciated. love this truck. it drives like a raped ape. ill do what ever i can to keep it going for a long time!

Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nada?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have you tried cleaning your sensor? I did that and it worked for me for a couple of months . Then I replaced the sensor. A couple months later the damn codes came back on. Now I am replacing the turbo . In Interesting thing I found out about the vane sensor is they need to be relearned to the truck. I did not know this and so I didnt do it. I wonder If I really needed the turbo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried cleaning your sensor? I did that and it worked for me for a couple of months . Then I replaced the sensor. A couple months later the damn codes came back on. Now I am replacing the turbo . In Interesting thing I found out about the vane sensor is they need to be relearned to the truck. I did not know this and so I didnt do it. I wonder If I really needed the turbo
Yea I took the sensor out, cleaned it. Even ran the truck with the sensor out and manually pushed it in and out and the vanes were actively moving I could see the lobe in the turbo that pushes the sensor moving. I just wonder if it’s the actuator plugged up or something?

·
Registered
2006 LBZ Kennedy single, 4" turbo back, EFI live tuned, emissions misplaced .
3 Posts
I had a similar situation for a few months and finally decided to get a new turbo from LDS. I had heard that cleaning the unison ring and vanes were only a short term fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the exact same situation as you and replaced the sensor with a Dorman unit. It lasted 30 days and quit. I then replaced it with a Garrett sensor for half the price of the GM unit and it improved the situation but didn't eliminate the codes coming up about once a week. I had a local shop do a re-learn and now it'll throw the 2563 maybe once every couple of weeks. I think what is happening is the unison ring is starting to get carboned up and sticks occasionally on start-up. I just clear the codes as they happen and eventually will either clean or replace the turbo like Rider1999 suggests. With all the work involved removing the turbo it makes sense to just put a new one in and not worry about it for another 100,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts