Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 2500HD.

Got in it yesterday morning, wouldnt crank, would turn over all day.
Popped the hood, beat the primer on top of the fuel filter to death, cranked right up. Drove to the store (4 miles) and if I punched it, it would cut out on me. Got to the store and did what I needed, jumped back in the truck, turned over for a bit, then cranked back up. Punched it on the way home and it ran like a raped ape.

This morning got in it and would not crank. primed the fuel again, cranked right up, died in 2 minutes, primed again, died again.

I read on here that one culprit could be the fuel filter head. I did notice a couple bubbles coming out of the bleeder screw but it was tight as can be. Does this still sound like a filter head problem even if the issue has gradually set in?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Theres probably a leak somewhere, air getting in. How many miles on your current fuel filter?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I would replace it and make sure thats not the problem, its cheap.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Several vendors have a repair kit for the fuel filter housing-- the housing gives lots of problems. The CP3 has to pull fuel from the fuel tank, and through the filter, so any small leak, it will act like you describe. You should also buy the WIF plug, as that is another problem area. This eliminates the WIF sensor.

They also have new housings at a reasonable price-- Do not buy from the dealer, $$$$.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Several vendors have a repair kit for the fuel filter housing-- the housing gives lots of problems. The CP3 has to pull fuel from the fuel tank, and through the filter, so any small leak, it will act like you describe. You should also buy the WIF plug, as that is another problem area. This eliminates the WIF sensor.

They also have new housings at a reasonable price-- Do not buy from the dealer, $$$$.
Agree !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got off work and crawled under the hood. I noticed that there was a slight wet ring around the fuel filter.....

was able to hand tighten the filter 1/4 turn...

·
Registered
781 Posts
That would do it, doesn't take much for it to suck air and die

1 - 8 of 8 Posts