Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1st Chevy and my first duramax. I love it so far but the more i read the more i wonder? It was either a dodge or a chevy so i know i made the right decision. There is alot of stuff to worry about. Could ya'll give me some insight other than go read the manual to making sure i get the best out of my 6.6 powerhouse. I have heard about the fuel filter has to be changed often and is hard to change. I am working on the bump steer with my dealer now. The tie rod ends????. How long can i really let it idol. are a few things i would like your opinions Thanks

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I just bought my 1st Chevy and my first duramax. I love it so far but the more i read the more i wonder? It was either a dodge or a chevy so i know i made the right decision. There is alot of stuff to worry about. Could ya'll give me some insight other than go read the manual to making sure i get the best out of my 6.6 powerhouse. I have heard about the fuel filter has to be changed often and is hard to change. I am working on the bump steer with my dealer now. The tie rod ends????. How long can i really let it idol. are a few things i would like your opinions Thanks
I'm at 15000miles and the fuel filter is still above 50% life remaining. Buy fuel from a quality source and it should not require frequent changes.

Changing the filter is more difficult than prior Dmax versions and requires removal of the wheel well liner. It is not difficult, but is not really a side of the road job.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The duramax - allison is a great combo. I have a little over 6000 miles on my 2011 - about 4000 of the miles is towing.

Changed the rear end fluid after 600 miles of towing
Changed the transmission fluid to TranSynd
Now using Rotella T Synthetic in the engine.
About every 6000 miles I add grease the zircs on the front end
I change the fuel filter at about 7000 miles - cheap maintenance to help prevent fuel issues.
I purchased a kit to make changing the fuel filter easier. Installed it when I rotated my tires. Have not changed the filter yet but it should work.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I should have added that over the years there have been several updates to the fuel filter design before arriving on the current, relatively problem free, version.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Reliable is what the Dmax trucks are. Fuel filter isn't that hard to change at all. Add diesel and DEF and drive. I never have any problems with my Dmax trucks, they are the most trouble free of the Big 3. I have had my LML for 11 months and just turn the key and drive, never any worries.:drink

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've had my truck for 13.5 months, and have 35,000 miles on her. She's been pretty-much trouble-free, save for a turbo ground issue and a the DEF calibration recall.

I will change my fuel filter with the next oil change at 40,000 miles, though it'll still have 15% life remaining according to the DIC.

I don't really let mine idle more than 5 to 10 minutes, and then only rarely. I can not remember what the manual says about idle time.

Add diesel and DEF when necessary, change fluids when recommend. Drive and enjoy the truck!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think the bump steer issue is fixed by adding a steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am not entirely certain that letting the vehicle idle for extended periods of time will cause any damage, as long as nothing fails and causes it to overheat. I leave my older LLY idling for extended periods quite often, usually 15-20 min. before I drive it (and because my pansy-ass hates jumping into a cold truck), and will oftentimes leave it running when making quick stops into convenience stores or whatnot.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i change the oil every 5,000 no matter what the computer says, do the fuel filter every 10,000 easy to remember.

I had 3 diesel so far, done this with every one of them. not had any problems with injectors, or fuel system knock on wood.

like they said get diesel where they sell alot of it. some mom and pop stores it will sit in a tank for to long.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Are the new fuel filter/housing combos on these new trucks really made to go that long between changes?? 40k on a fuel filter with 15% remaining? Doesn't sound right or safe to me. I'd change the fuel filters every other oil change just like the older trucks.. but thats just me
To the original post: Just take care of it and drive!! You won't be disappointed. I have full faith that these engines keep getting better and better, even with all the emissions junk coming into play. Just be glad you didn't buy a Ford, although their stock trannys are pretty strong, but as you can see in all the recent king of the hill testing, even with slightly more HP and TQ, the Powerstroke or Cummins still can't keep up

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
welcome man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts