Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Any body own one?

7K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  79 F150 4x4 
#1 ·
Does anybody own a 6.2l or has had one?

#3 ·
No I dont need one Ive got a cummins and am stickin with it, Im just wondering if there is anybody on here that has one since no one has posted here. how come you have so many parts?

#4 ·
WELL.............., I used to have an 86 half ton suburban that had one in it and had the banks sidewinder turbo kit on it. Man that thing would pull, BUT not like my 05 Cummins does. I ran into these from a buddy of mine that was really into the 6.2 diesel. He had 5 trucks with them and I think he bought ever truck he could find that was wrecked that had the 6.2 in it. All in all I think I ended up with enough of everything to build 9 complete engines without the injection pumps. I loaded all of this stuff into the back of my 79 F150 pickup and holy moly, the parts were over the top of the box and stacked front to back, with no free space for anything. If anyone needs some hard parts or wiring harnesses or injection lines, let me know as I will maake you a heck of a DEAL on these parts or the WHOLE works!!!!

#6 ·
David, somewhere floating around the internet there is a pick of one on a full-size pulling tractor that apparently has 500+ whp.

I don't think one would fit very effectively on your garden tractor. ;)

There was one for sale on another GM diesel site that I would have LOVED to bought. It was very nice!! My next truck may just be one in fact. Keep this one as the toy, puller, racer, DD, and have the 6.2 as the DD/hauler. Love to have a well put together mid-80s Chevy reg. cab 1-ton dually or CC SB with a nicely built 6.2 turbo in it. Looks are killer and hauling ability would be fine for its purpose. Wouldn't win many races but they can get the job done just the same and get pretty damn good fuel mileage all the while.

Yeah, I'm a fan of them if you can't tell. ;)

C-ya

#7 ·
my uncle has a 85' sububan with the 6.2 it has over 500,000miles on it never been rebuilt and still running.

#8 ·
Had one. I got a new 6.2 in 81, drove it for about 7 years. The motor was trouble free except that it had a nasty habit of breaking the nose off of numerous starters, probably 3 or 4. They were kind of pricy then at about $200.00 a pop. Upon further recolection, I also had to replace the "Roosa-Master" injection pump once, at about $600.00.

It was a good truck, I saw it around for several years after I traded it in.

In 1998 I helped a friend put a 6.2 in his 64 Chevy pickup, It was a fun project.

#9 ·
I don't own one but I work on 6.2/6.5 and 6.5td on a daily basis. If you want to consider I am signed for a HMMWV in the military that has a 6.5 then I guess you could say I own one.

#10 ·
I have a 85 K5 blazer that has the infamous 6.2 between the rails. I've turned it into a "Monster Truck" (ROCK CRAWLER)! So far I've installed a 6" suspension lift, took out the factory 10 bolt axels and installed a dana 60 in the front (welded with35 spline cromoly outers with drive flanges and the short inner shaft as well) and a 14 bolt in the rear (welded as well). I destroyed the 700r4 and replaced it with an sm465 as well as replaced the np208 with a np205. I had put 37" boggers on the 10 bolts, then I upgraded to 38.5" boggers when I first got the 1 ton axels because that's what came on them. I then put 42" TSLs with beadlocks which made the saginaw steering almost nonexistant so i put full hydrolic steering in it's place. I'm installing a set of high steer arms as we speak.

I've been VERY pleased with the performance so far:) Before I bought the blazer it had been sitting up for about 2 yrs (which I didn't know about) and other than the fuel guage not working after it reaches a half a tank (which caused me to run out of fuel on the side of a mountain), everything is a GO!!! ALL of my Buddies keep reminding me of the fuel incident!

I've been thinking of installing a turbo off of a 6.5 to get a little more out of my 6.2 but I don't know if it will cause it to eat itself.

#11 ·
Yeah we've got some on the farm. An 84 Gmc 2500 2wd with the 6.2 from OK, 1984 Chevy 1ton single wheel with a service body on it and 3spd with a low 4x4. This truck can pull. And a 1983 gmc halfton burb with one from OK.
We did have an 82 3/4 burb with one and a banks turbo kit on it. Gave it about 5 more HP lol. SO yeah we've had a couple!!

#12 ·
We bought an old M1010 Chevy K30 1 ton 4wd ambualnce at an auction once. Took it to the local stone boat pulls as a joke and won. Had to pull with the back doors open to see to back up to the sled and one of the stretchers fell out while it was pulling.:rof That thing took one hell of a beating, I'm pretty sure it was on one wheel a few time bouncing back and forth and side to side. The only mods were a flipped air cleaner lid, slightly turned up pump, and a crappy set of mud tires on PYO's. The factory 4.56's and rear Detroit help alot though.:rockin

#14 ·
It was some good quality ******* entertainment.:D

#15 ·
i'd love to find a old military k30 w/a 6.2

#18 ·
look at that peach, she's a silverado and everystuff, that's high class

i've got an 87 1/2ton with factory dual front shocks layin arround (gasser) the body's plum shot but the frame is immaculate i would love to fully box the frame put in some cross bracing and drop a d-max in it one day be it a 6.6 or a 4.5 i just think i'd be the sweetest old schooler out there

#21 ·
I've had several, loved them. Not much for power, but reliable and great mileage. All of these I've owned had the 6.2:
1984 GMC 4x4 reg cab with man trans. 4.11 gears 19mpg
1986 GMC 4x4 crewcab with man trans. 4.56 gears 16mpg below 60mph...
1986 Chevy Suburban with auto trans. I believe 3.73 gears 16mpg, never got better...
1988 GMC Blazer with Banks Sidewinder, auto trans and 3.73 gears (wish I still had!) 26mpg when babied. This rig ran like a big block and amazed everybody who drove it. Sidewinder installed at dealership, power cranked up by a diesel shop that used to be in Polson, Montana.
All of these went past 250,000 miles...
84 reg cab went through 3 or 4 starters, then finally broke crankshaft in half while towing 21' Seaswirl cuddy cabin.
Crewcab went over 300 with only injector and pump replacement.
Other 2 were trouble-free, especially the Blazer.

#22 ·
OH YEAH... I did have the glow plug controller relay go bad and turn the glow plugs on continuously while I was going down the road in the 1984 reg car... the engine was already warmed up and I was driving down the interstate, before I could shut it off and coast to side of the road the glow plugs all suffered severe meltdown! Had to pull the heads to get all the pieces out of the cylinders... THAT SUCKED!

#25 ·
guys u havent messed with an old 6.5 turbo much have ya, the 6.2L are a joke, i have worked on them in the army and trust me not the best motors,hell even the Ford 6.9L IDI is better and ya well hmmm they suck too, get a 6.5 turbo or something that can acutally be somewhat built up to decent horsepower, just my $.02 guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.