Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make their own flat bed on the cheap? Any ideas, websites with plans, parts/supplies list?

·
Registered
648 Posts
make it flat!

·
Registered
662 Posts
with the high cost of steel i think you wouldnt be able to build one for less than you could buy one for, and still look decent and be functional. I would just keep your eye out on craigslist for a good used one, and save yourself the time and money to try and fabricate one yourself

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
I made a simple one out of 3" channel and some 4" angle iron. I sheeted it with wood because steel plate was flangin expensive. It is a pretty simple design. Here is a pic of it on the truck

·
Registered
73 Posts
google might show you alot more

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked on the googles. And yea, something simple like the pic would work fine. It's not for my LBZ. I got a 1988 Ford ranger for free. Runs and drives decent. But its rusty. Very rusty. And someone did some horrible things with bondo to it.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
Mine is a beater as well. I am into the flatbed about 100 bucks so far but I already owned the metal. I layed the 3" channel across the frame rails in 20" intervals. them boxed it with the angle iron on the sides. I had some diamond plate steel from previous projects I made the gussets with. The headache rack is made out of channel as well. I just releif cut it and bent it. It took me about 4 hours to get it all welded up and mounted. I just made sure to have the channel laying across both front and rear mounting locations and used the some 4" angle to level and mount it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts