Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a 2017 Silverado and let me tell you its the nicest truck i ever owned, I absolutely love it. However, the navigation/back up screen is terrible at night and can not be dimmed (which is a engineering flaw at its best). Why you can not have this simple option (like completely turning it off, when you do not want it, is beyond me. Tonight prompted me to research after i tried backing up in my normal parking spot, it was raining and If it was not for parking there many times in the past I definitely could not see to park it safely. I noticed there is approximately one inch on both sides of the screen, I am going to put velcro strips there and cut a peice of 1/4 inch plywood that will fit and cover the screen. On the center of the plywood I will attach a handle grip, so you can put it on take it off with ease. Ill store the cover in my center storage area. I hope they correct this error on future trucks. I want to stay with the Silverado and will be looking forward to new one by the year 2020.
Go get it fixed at the dealer. That was one of my only other gripes with my '17 Sierra when I first bought it (aside from the check engine lights due to faulty nox sensors). After they flashed it the screen no longer brightens after you throw it in reverse with the lights on.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
I have a suggestion for you.

When you are connecting your boat/camper put a piece of black electrical tape over the camera lens when you are back there anyway. Be sure to remove it when you disconnect the trailer.

A PITA to be sure but it Will work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
GM has a bulletin for the 2017-2018 trucks regarding the screen being too bright at night. They came out with a software update to fix it.

Bulletin #17-NA-269: Rear Camera Screen Bright At Night - (May 2, 2018)

If you're under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty then it's a covered item. Even if you're not under warranty, it only takes about 20 min. We've done several of them and most are significantly better (dimmer at night) after the update.

-Rich

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a suggestion for you.

When you are connecting your boat/camper put a piece of black electrical tape over the camera lens when you are back there anyway. Be sure to remove it when you disconnect the trailer.

A PITA to be sure but it Will work.
After trailer is connected the camera doesnt have much use until trailer is dropped.

Some times the simplest solutions are the best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did this on my 2017 and now the dimmer switch adjusts the backup camera display brightness

·
Registered
214 Posts
taking tailgate off and putting 5th wheel tailgate on ,so need to have proper wiring ends to make it work cannot find one on ebay ,need part # from gm ,or where from at another site . Please

61 - 70 of 70 Posts