Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my 2008 started this issue a couple months ago, put the key in go to start nothing, wont turn over, checked power to the starter all good, unhook the batteries, hook them back up it fires right up, crusing down the road, the security light comes on, doesnt run any different, then it will go out, go to shut the truck off, pull the key out and it fires back up :confused: the only thing else i can think of is ignition switch? Im at a lose as far as what else to check maybe you guys know of something i forgot to check or didnt know to check

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
wait... so it starts up when you pull the key out? WTF? Or did I read it wrong? The key has a rfid chip in it, the truck shouldn't even be able to start without the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wait... so it starts up when you pull the key out? WTF? Or did I read it wrong? The key has a rfid chip in it, the truck shouldn't even be able to start without the key in the ignition.
yeah you read it correctly, turn it in the off position and pull the key out the truck will start up, put the key back in and it shuts off, ya im not sure WTF is going on, my next step is to dig into the steering colum to figure out wtf is going on

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
I would say in the ingnition switch. Or you've got a ghost messing with ya!

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Sounds like a BCM issue to me maybe. I bet the stealer could reflash the BCM and it would probably fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Twin turbo's usually kill a warranty... :)

I was going to say maybe something with the VATS, but that usually kills the truck rather than brings it to life on it's own.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya its still under warranty, that is about what im down to is take it to the stealer and let them piss with it and they can figure it out

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Also look for a fuse that might be blown but does not completely open the circuit......I've seen issues like that compromise anti theft systems.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all grounds good, im down to turning off the vats with efi live and see if that is the trick, if that doesnt do it, i guess she is goin on the hook and headin to dealership

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I thought VATS was tech II only??? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
there was a recall a while ago for the security system not allowing the truck to start.
But never heard of anything like your describing.....

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
turned vats off with efi live, truck fired up right up, went and talked to the dealer, got into a pissin match with the, their words were i cant go in there and change things like that, my reply was i paid for the f*ucking truck i can do anything i want with it, its scheduled for monday morning, i forsee a pissing match with them over this

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just wanted to say thats for the replies for the ideas fellas, and thanks to todd for answering my questions even though a few of them were dumb :rof :rof

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Not really......some of the backwards logic in the factory tuning is odd. Engineers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got an update from the dealer, they just wanted to call and inform me my egr cooler and dpf were missing, but cant figure out why it doesnt throw any codes, apparently mine vehicle is the first one they've seen with both of those removed, but they are still working on the no crank no start issue :rof :rof

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Well got an update from the dealer, they just wanted to call and inform me my egr cooler and dpf were missing, but cant figure out why it doesnt throw any codes, apparently mine vehicle is the first one they've seen with both of those removed, but they are still working on the no crank no start issue :rof :rof
At least they know what the DPF and EGR cooler look like :rof:rof but have no fear they are on it I'm sure :neener Hope they get it and let me know in case mine ever does this Ill know what it was. :drink

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah for sure i will let you know the outcome i have a feeling it has something to do with the vats but they can deal with it and figure it out

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that was my first thought but when i got it started the last time, i had the little paddle lock on the dash stay on all the time, and when you shut it off thats all she wrote no more starts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts