Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Waldo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I locked myself out of my truck today. I called AAA and they came out. We were pushing the unlock and it wouldnt work. Why??? Ended up having to go and get a copy of the memo title and go get a VIN cut key. Why the hell does the dealer have to have the title, My ID, and registration to cut a key off the vin. If I was a out of towner ok, but my truck is in their computer and they've never needed a title to take my money. :mad:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've always been able to just hit the door lock button when getting into these trucks. That rule about having the title it to cover the dealers a$$ from a liability stand point.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
x2 Anyone could just walk in and say I need a key to this VIN and come and take your truck. It got that way a few years ago when one of the carmakers had a bunch stolen like that.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Why the hell does the dealer have to have the title, My ID, and registration to cut a key off the vin. :mad:
to prove you own the car.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Waldo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:rof That sucks!

I unlock cars about once a month or more and silverados are the worst! You can usually get them with pulling the unlock lever manually... Or lifting yours up?

Ya its for safety. My dad owns a repair shop and its a pain for us to get keys made.... Hey, would you rather have them give a key to anyone? If the answers yes please send me your address and vin :drink
Yes. Wayne A. Eicher 14217 county road. Z Come and get it!

·
Waldo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
x2 Anyone could just walk in and say I need a key to this VIN and come and take your truck. It got that way a few years ago when one of the carmakers had a bunch stolen like that.
Right, but when they have me in the computer and know me by name when I walk in? Seriously they should be able to cut me a key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts