Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a new turbo or a twin set up on. So now I want to talk to people to see who has done this on a stock motor and how did it work for you. What mods did you do with that to help?

And who has blown up a stock lb7 with a new turbo or twins.

So please, let's hear it.......

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured I would give it a 20+ hour bump....

Come on.... Some one must have some experience with this......

even if you didn't blow up a motor, tell me how your aftermarket system is working for you...

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
people blow completely stock motors. its not likely but possible. shit happens. i love my setup. the fun just begins when you up grade the turbo

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
cody put a 366 on the black beauty and it's around high 500s. No problems yet.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
The husker diesel pulling truck is somewhere around the 700+ mark. The setup on it has been proven to put down 800+ but we haven't dyno'd it so 700+ is a safe bet, and it has been kicking @ss all season long. Stock motor on bottom and top. She's getting a full motor build over the winter though.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,
So what's the differences in a 472 and a 366?

Hey gr8shot, is that at the wheels? What setup are y'all using?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
lb7 with twins and 37's and lift, 13.01 and bent his rods

lb7 twins stock tires 12.2, motor is fine

lbz with 4094vvt & 40 overs 11.90, hole in piston

lbz with 4094vvt & 30 over 12.02, motor is fine.

its all about your options, tuning and how you drive it. and if your motor was built on a monday, tuesday or friday.

·
Registered
533 Posts
from the research i did everybody told me the motor will be fine with a good set of twins except for the headgaskets. anything aftermarket the headgasket is iffy. idk just what ive been told by many experts!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
So would I be better off with twins or with a billet 4094vvt? Seems like people say twins are safer...

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your talking about the same amount of boost at the end, then why would twins be safer?

To me 35 psi is 35 psi, 45 psi is 45 psi...... I don't really see why it would make a difference.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
from the research i did everybody told me the motor will be fine with a good set of twins except for the headgaskets. anything aftermarket the headgasket is iffy. idk just what ive been told by many experts!!!
Most say that your more likely to bend a rod than blow the hg's. Lb7 and lly heads aren't as "tough" as the newer models, but their rods are about 15% weaker iirc also.

Most people with just a larger turbo and no additional fueling seem to have little to no issue with the motor blowin up. It seems like the people who add larger injectors into the mix that seem to have issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cracked a piston after 30k miles with a bad tune (not mentioning any names) on my lbz with no fuel mods or turbo mods. I bought an engine from a wrecked truck with 40k and threw some 40 overs on it with twins and Robs tuning,.... i have driven the shit out of it for 30k more miles. I think the key is Rob's badass tuning, no matter what setup you have

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cracked a piston after 30k miles with a bad tune (not mentioning any names) on my lbz with no fuel mods or turbo mods. I bought an engine from a wrecked truck with 40k and threw some 40 overs on it with twins and Robs tuning,.... i have driven the shit out of it for 30k more miles. I think the key is Rob's badass tuning, no matter what setup you have
I was thinking the same, a lot of it is about the tune. I know you can really mess some things up if you have a crappy tune.
Can you pm me with info about the "questionable" tune?

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure is Dustin, who knows for how long though. I have another charger to swap in sometime, that may be the blast straw.
Hey Meyers, I have a couple of questions,....
I'm seriously thinking about the SDP twin kit you offer. So here are my questions.

I have two batteries, what happens to it?

I have a water/meth kit, do I still need it? With more air were talking about lower egts, so would the water meth help with the timing and make more power that way as well as lower egts even further?

How exactly does that twin set up work? Here's what I think so far... Tell me what I miss and where I'm wrong.
The factory turbo spools as normal from the exhaust manifold, after it spins the hot side of the turbo it exits and enters the "hot" side of the larger turbo spinning it up and exits into the exhaust.
If that's how it works, then how is no bov needed to release the pressure from the larger turbo?
Does the larger turbo restrict the spool up of the smaller turbo? It seems like it would be a restriction to me.
Does the kit come with a stocker powder coated to my color choise along with the other cold piping?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If your talking about the same amount of boost at the end, then why would twins be safer?

To me 35 psi is 35 psi, 45 psi is 45 psi...... I don't really see why it would make a difference.
Makes a huge difference...twins u usually have a lot less drive pressure which is very important for motor longevity....u want it at 1:1...

·
BACK IN DFW!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Makes a huge difference...twins u usually have a lot less drive pressure which is very important for motor longevity....u want it at 1:1...
I'm sure this sounds stupid, but what is drive pressure? And how do you know your at a 1:1 or what ever you are at?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts