Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m new to the duramax world , but know I want efi live . I have a 2006 lbz . I have read that Idaho rob was good /maybe the best but doesn’t sell tunes anymore ? I found a package deal for $1125 that comes with the edge insight 2 and an autocal from kory Willis .
Here’s the link
https://www.alligatorperformance.com/ppei-efi-live-autocal-by-kory-willis-combo-package-with-edge-insight-2-monitor-01-10-duramax-or-06-09-cummins?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-qm2v2M4gIV0QOGCh2FiApWEAQYASABEgIJuvD_BwE

Is this all I need to have efi live ? Is it still worth getting even tho the epa is trying to shut tuning down ?
Anyone know of a better tuner than kory Willis ? I have done a lot of research , but just want to make the right decision when spending this kind of $$$

I have stock transmission, turbo, and injectors
I want a tune that won’t destroy my truck .
Looking for a fun tune to go fast
A good performance tune , and a good fuel economy tune

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’m new to the duramax world , but know I want efi live . I have red that Idaho rob was good /maybe the best but doesn’t sell tunes anymore ? I found a package deal for $1125 that comes with the edge insight 2 and an autocal from kory Willis .

Is this all I need to have efi live ? Is it still worth getting even tho the epa is trying to shut tuning down ?
Anyone know of a better tuner than kory Willis ? I have done a lot of research , but just want to make the right decision when spending this kind of $$$

1. You will get mixed opinions on who to use for EFI live....read through and develop your own opinions on Starlight, ridge runner, Dans, PPEI, duramaxtuner, etc. All are capable of doing what you are wanting.
2. Buy the edge insight through edge or a forum vendor on here as they are currently running a promo to get a free EGT probe with the purchase...doesn't appear alligator is showing that option right now.
3. As for the EPA stuff, meh. Tune it and be done with it, you will be happy you did.

Something to think of though is if you have to pass emissions in your county/state EFI may not be an option; I don't have to deal with it so someone else may chime in on that.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I’m new to the duramax world , but know I want efi live . I have red that Idaho rob was good /maybe the best but doesn’t sell tunes anymore ? I found a package deal for $1125 that comes with the edge insight 2 and an autocal from kory Willis .
Here’s the link
https://www.alligatorperformance.com/ppei-efi-live-autocal-by-kory-willis-combo-package-with-edge-insight-2-monitor-01-10-duramax-or-06-09-cummins?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-qm2v2M4gIV0QOGCh2FiApWEAQYASABEgIJuvD_BwE

I would not go with a tuner who is not currently supporting the tunes unless there is no other choice. Im not saying his turnes are bad, they are widely considered to be some of the best, but if you want anything changed, good luck. I went with MotorOps, so far so good, and they are pleasant to work with over the phone and via email.

Edit:

Also, please fill out your signature with your vehicle information so that its easier to help you. Tuning on an LML is not the same as tuning on an LB7 since the new truck have varying degrees of emissions equipment that you either need to incorporate into the tune, or delete from the truck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here’s the link

I would not go with a tuner who is not currently supporting the tunes unless there is no other choice. Im not saying his turnes are bad, they are widely considered to be some of the best, but if you want anything changed, good luck. I went with MotorOps, so far so good, and they are pleasant to work with over the phone and via email.

Edit:

Also, please fill out your signature with your vehicle information so that its easier to help you. Tuning on an LML is not the same as tuning on an LB7 since the new truck have varying degrees of emissions equipment that you either need to incorporate into the tune, or delete from the truck.
Do I have to do that on an actual computer ? I hit account settings on my phone to try and make a sig, but didn’t see any buttons for it

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Do I have to do that on an actual computer ? I hit account settings on my phone to try and make a sig, but didn’t see any buttons for it

that i am not sure of, i dont use the site on my phone. Just the year of the truck would help though.

What exactly is the difference between these two?
It tells me both will fit my truck

From what I can tell the insight is just the monitor and the evolution is monitor plus tuner ?

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/diesel-evolution-cts2

The CTS is not a tuner, it is a scanner and instrument display with some other functions. it is basically a digital gauge you can configure to show sensor data for things you want to monitor, and it can read and clear codes. For EFI Live you will get an autocal that plugs into the OBDII port and is a one time flash. the CTS is commonly used with EFI Live for better management of the vehicle (things like EGT sensors and boost sensors can be added to it), but it in and of itself is not capable of tuning the truck.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
If your deleting emissions stuff forget about DuramaxTuner and the Edge Evo.
PPEI I’ve never used (I inquired and didn’t care for the bs attitude) and would never even think about using them, this feeling dates back to early 2012.
I inquired a few times since, still the same attitude.

Motor Ops, Ridge Runner, Danville, I’d suggest reaching out to them.

Signatures can be done by clicking on the “User CP” on the website follow the prompts even on a cell phone, then make sure when your posting you check including your sig.
Your phone settings doesn’t even know these websites exist.
EFT tuning stuff needs to be done on windows, Mac is not supported.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a similar setup on my LML. I have a 5 tune pack with autocal from PPEI, EDGE CTS2 and Pyro probe. I have a few more items installed as well. As far as the tunes go, I am happy with them. I run the 60 HP tow tune all the time as that is pretty much all I use the truck for. The truck does smoke a little if you get on it to pass someone but clears up once the turbo spools up (within seconds). In regards to their support, they are a little hard to get in touch within an hour of quitting time, but other then that they are more than willing to help when you are on the phone. I did a lot of my communication through email and usually got a response the same day.

In the end, there are quite a few reputable tuners for the DMax and I don't think you would have heartburn over going with others as well. I chose PPEI at the time I was looking at tuning my truck, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with some of the others either.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I went with Motor Ops from our friends up north. Nothing about my experience with them was anywhere near negative. Pretty much what i expected. They took time to answer my questions and shipped me the product in a reasonable timeframe.

Drawback: foreign transaction fee.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went with Motor Ops from our friends up north. Nothing about my experience with them was anywhere near negative. Pretty much what i expected. They took time to answer my questions and shipped me the product in a reasonable timeframe.

How much was the foreign transaction fee ? I didn’t even think about tht

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

i dont remember being charged any additional fees on my order, did you order recently?

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Maybe Canada doesn't charge a fee when they ship north of the boarder. :wink2:
One simple way to find out is to give MotorOps a phone call.
That small fee would be better than the OP's thoughts on going with the other tuner he mentioned.

Anyone that has Duramax Tuner tunes and still has their AutoCal locked to DT, you can go with MotorOps, they'll use the same AC ID and email you new tunes.
MotorOps can look up what files you had with DT and make changes you'd like to make without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe Canada doesn't charge a fee when they ship north of the boarder. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/img]
One simple way to find out is to give MotorOps a phone call.
That small fee would be better than the OP's thoughts on going with the other tuner he mentioned.

Anyone that has Duramax Tuner tunes and still has their AutoCal locked to DT, you can go with MotorOps, they'll use the same AC ID and email you new tunes.
MotorOps can look up what files you had with DT and make changes you'd like to make without breaking the bank.
The only question I have is it’s $14xx In Canadian dollars . That’s over $1100 in US dollars . That’s the total cost of the insight and tuner on alligator performance . Is there a reason why the Motorops is worth the $400 more ?

·
Registered
447 Posts
How much was the foreign transaction fee ? I didn’t even think about tht
$25 but it was from my credit card company, not MotorOps. Likely because I paid them in CAD and not USD but i was quoted in USD so i dunno. I should call my CC company and ask them to remove it claiming economic discrimination

i dont remember being charged any additional fees on my order, did you order recently?
Yes. Beginning of April.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The only question I have is it’s $14xx In Canadian dollars . That’s over $1100 in US dollars . That’s the total cost of the insight and tuner on alligator performance . Is there a reason why the Motorops is worth the $400 more ?
Mine was somewhere over $800 for 5 tunes and dsp5. Granted I didnt have any mods.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Insight alone about $450, tunes I haven’t priced lately, but probably in the neighbor hood of what “knotReally” paid for 5 tunes with 5dsp switch.
I’m not a fan of multiple tunes on a switch, that’s one good way of getting yourself in trouble.
Especially if you’ve been smookin and or :drink[1]: then that turbo charged Prius pulls up next to you. :surprise:

Me, I’m a single tune kinda guy, loading one at a time, finding one that I like then it stays in, permanently. :thumb

When it comes to prices in Canada vs the USA, that you’ll need to take up with Canada.
I think buying thru Alligator your eliminating the Canada’s outrages fees, even the Canadians get the raw end of the deal.

Like on Amazon Ca Acdelco oil filter for the dmax is $23 same filter in the USA $9.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I’m not a fan of multiple tunes on a switch, that’s one good way of getting yourself in trouble.
Especially if you’ve been smookin and or :drink[1]: then that turbo charged Prius pulls up next to you. :surprise:
I think it was around 7% more to get the 5 tune pkg w switch. Gives me options. My issue is when other people drive my truck. I work on my own truck for a reason but I can't align it and no telling if they'll need to 'road test' it. According to the dsp5 switch install, the tunes will default to 1 if the switch isnt installed. I'm thinking bout hiding a kill switch under the dash. At worst, turn it to 1 then flip the kill.

If you've been smookin or :drink[1]: and decide to drive a ~4 ton vehicle then you deserve whatever happens. Tunes will, no pun intended, just get you there faster :|
Besides, if you're gonna go jump terraces... do it in a car (way more fun) >:)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts