Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
The amount of people out there with the "If I can see out, I don't care how many people I blind with my poorly adjusted headlights" attitude is astounding.

This had the potential to be a good thread. Would be curious to see if GM accounted for a load when aiming the lights from the factory. Part of me wants to believe they did, but I don't have much faith in them so I'm more inclined to say they did not.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I believe this is a solution looking for a problem.

All of the GM HD trucks are built with an unloaded forward rake in them that none of us like, including me.

Like some others here, I tow heavy (>3K pin weight) and when hooked/loaded, my truck sits perfectly level (I guess the GM engineers made this assumption during load calculations). Have never had anyone flash their lights at me or give me the one finger salute due to blinding the oncoming vehicle and I have never adjusted the headlights. I just completed a 1980 mile trip with my rig that included some night time towing without any issues. FWIW both my headlights and suspension are bone stock minus Sulastic shackles.

Your truck is certainly capable of towing the weights that you have indicated. Load 'er up, make the trip and enjoy the ride. You will enjoy it more without the over analysis of the issue IMHO.

OBTW, I am an aeronautical engineer by trade.
But are you a rocket scientist? as the saying goes.. :grin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm trying to remember if the owner's manual has instructions for aiming headlights. It's pretty simple, you just need a wall, 25 level feet and a straight edge and a black marker. But like almost every one is saying, airbags are the trick.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Op here.

My '19 Chevy has adjusting screws. From empty to enough wt in bed/hitch to reach GVWR, the rear goes down 2" and front stays virtually same HT. Using the 25' to wall scheme, this raises headlights 4" at the wall.

I discovered that one full turn clockwise on adjusting screws will lower the beam at the wall 2". So, I marked the screws and a screwdriver with a reference mark and can make the correction when a trip is going to extend after dark.

Now all I have to do is remember to do it and undo it.

PS:. The screw will take a large Phillips, but really takes #2 square drive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Op here.

My '19 Chevy has adjusting screws. From empty to enough wt in bed/hitch to reach GVWR, the rear goes down 2" and front stays virtually same HT. Using the 25' to wall scheme, this raises headlights 4" at the wall.

I discovered that one full turn clockwise on adjusting screws will lower the beam at the wall 2". So, I marked the screws and a screwdriver with a reference mark and can make the correction when a trip is going to extend after dark.

Now all I have to do is remember to do it and undo it.

PS:. The screw will take a large Phillips, but really takes #2 square drive.
Good Info, Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
My truck came hitting tree tops while loaded.Aimed them so they had a some what short distance while empty.They were still too high loaded until air bag lift of an inch or so. Thought about lowering rear end to get that happy middle aim. I mostly tow so this works for me .
Aux flood lights are bomb with no on coming traffic in mountain twisties

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Stock low beams are so bad I added two 50 watt driving lights.......

I would have 100 watt fixtures but too big....they set off the park assist.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Stock low beams are so bad I added two 50 watt driving lights.......

I would have 100 watt fixtures but too big....they set off the park assist.
Look into the HID bulb swap. I'm assuming you have the halogen projectors like most people do. The HID swap improves them radically so I've heard

21 - 30 of 30 Posts