Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the off topic because i forgot completely about this secion. My 15+ year old off brand finally took a shit on me. Thought it did last year but it just kept on runnin lol. Im looking at a few different ones and want to know some real world opinions. I have it narrowed down to the Quincy QT-54 and the IR SS5L5. i have heard alot about the IR motors going out in about a year and also having head gasket trouble. Havent heard much good or bad about Quincy but it seems like a good unit. 15 CFMs at 140. The IR i believe is 18.1 @ 90. Just need some more info! I paint often enough to justify a compressor this size and also run various air impacts, grinders, and sanders.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tractor supply had some IR's on sale for 999.00. We just bought one of them, builds 175psi and does around 18 @ 90 I believe. I personally own a Kobalt 60 gallon and have had no trouble with it, but it's not for painting.

Looking at your two options, from first look the Quincy is the better option. See the pressure lines with heat sink fins on them? That's what you want ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Had an IR as a replacement to an old napa one and it made it just under a year and trashed the motor. Bad part is the shop bay side the ir was running gets used about half of what my side gets used and mine has another napa unit from 12 years ago

·
Registered
12 Posts
My boss from back in another life as a mechanic pointed me towards a Quincy. One the + memories I have of him. It has proven to be a stable work horse over the years.

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
We've had a couple different Quincy's at work (industrial models) and they have been excellant compressors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts