Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali Crew Cab Z71
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound silly to most of you, so feel free to laugh. I changed the transmission fluid and external filter on my '19 2500 on Thursday. I put the proper amount of fluid in along with the filter, but I'll be danged if I can read it. Does anyone other than me have a difficult time reading the fluid level? With the dipstick looking somewhat shiny and the fluid (Transynd mixed with OEM) so clear on the stick it's almost impossible for me to see the level. I have to use my finger to slide down the stick till I feel the fluid. I know I'm getting old, but dang, I'm not that old..

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I sure do, especially with new trans fluid. I'm pretty sure that there are more than just the 2 of us.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Use a paper towel folded and lay the dipstick on it- you can then tell how far on the stick it is

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a paper towel folded and lay the dipstick on it- you can then tell how far on the stick it is
Funny you say that. I was trying to check fluid level yesterday while getting fuel and and a guy told me the same thing. I will try it and see how it works.

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Yes, very difficult. My best results are in direct sunlight and rotating it kinda sideways to see the glare on the dipstick. You have to keep the end level though so the fluid doesn't creep up on you.

Reactions: shunter2005

·
Registered
70 Posts
Put chalk on the tip. You'll get a clear cut. That's what we used in the refinery on clear products. Kids sidewalk chalk, chalkline chalk, etc will work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried the paper towel idea just now and it didn't really work for me. When you pull the stick, dry it, put it back in, and then pull it out again to check it, the dipstick has fluid almost all the way to the end of the flat portion. Not like it's overfull, but like it has fluid on the tube and it transfers onto the stick as you pull it out. Also, tried Vipers method and while not being optimal for checking, it was readable in bright light. Either way, it's still a PITA.

Labman, I'm not sure how and where you put the chalk on the dipstick to try that method.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I scuffed up the end of the dipstick with some coarse sandpaper, it helps.

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Oh yea, also, I count 3 seconds before pulling the stick out. Too fast and it seems to be more splash on the dipstick than fluid level.

And yes, after too many tries, you start getting too much fluid in the dipstick tube which messes up the reading.

·
Registered
70 Posts
just chalk the last 2 inch ( hash marks) and check it per the manual. Gives a clear sharp cut. I like blue chalk, but any dark color will do it.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
993 Posts
I guess i never had much trouble but i always wait a few minutes after i quit pouring so the fluid all runs down the tube. Like the op said it hangs in the tube and makes it difficult to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I have found that works pretty good, is get a can of hi-temp gray primer paint and spray the end of the dipstick where you read the level. Make sure to clean the dipstick first with contact cleaner or brake cleaner so it is free of oil. Alcohol works, too. Let the primer dry real good and it will last and makes reading the oil level so much easier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I tried sanding the back side of the stick and it didn't make it any easier for me to read the level. Next step is to try paint. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Sometimes I also read the level on the backside of the dipstick as well. It's easier to see without the graduation. Then keep rotating it in your hand to correlate it to the front.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't see it on either side. LOL... Guess my eyes are getting old. I painted it black today. Even painted, I still can't see the exact spot, but I can at least tell pretty close to where the level is. I'm not too worried unless I see the tranny temp hit 200* and up. So far it's sitting right around 175* and is stable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts