Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Anyone here educated on ECM activity for regeneration?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dl0310 
#1 ·
I am trying to determine what these trucks are looking for when it invokes regen mode? How do they determine soot load? Back pressure? EGT? Is anyone here on the level with this stuff? If not, where might I go to discuss this?

#2 ·
I could be wrong, but from what I have read and learning from heavy equipment at work, it uses 2 probes (one of the inlet of the dpf and one on the outlet of the dpf) and it basically uses those probes with the air (I believe it’s the air) that passes by them to determine soot load. It’s basically a delta P that’s programmed into the software to read a %. So in short, more air going in compared to coming out, higher resistance through dpf, therefore higher soot load.

#5 ·
This will help figure out how the ECM and DPF function.

The engine control module (ECM) detects that the average time between the last
two completed DPF regenerations is greater than 20 hours, not including idle time.
• The regeneration engine run time trigger is based on a 14 hour threshold. Therefore,
the regeneration event was commanded but never completed, causing DTC P1448
to set.

DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0545, P0546, P0642, P0643, P0652, P0653, P0698,
P0699, P2032, P2033, P2227, P2228, P2453, P2454, and P2455 are not set. A
regeneration event must be complete. The vehicle speed is greater than 40 km/h (25
mph). The engine load is greater than 25 percent. Engine Run Time Since Last DPF
Regeneration is less than 10 minutes. Distance Since Last DPF Regeneration is less than
30 km (18.6 mi). The Soot Mass is less than 40 grams. DTC P2002 runs once when the
above conditions are met.
Possible Causes:
• The ECM detects that the particulate filter has degraded below a calibrated
threshold for greater than 30 seconds.

P2032
• The ECM detects that the EGT sensor 2 is less than 0.32 V for greater than 1 s.

P2033
• The ECM detects that the EGT sensor 2 is greater than 3.37 V for greater than 1 s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.