Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between the Afe Stage 2 set up, and the new 5" Bills Custom Intake. I think the 5" Bills looks best. super clean and all 1 piece power coated metal. I am sure performance wise there won't be much difference. Afe states that theirs is super quiet... which I dont like. Bills says it increases turbo sound... That I like! Any opinions.. or actual data on this?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5" is definately going to need a MAF recalibration. It is also pretty pointless on a stock turbo. IMHO.
talked to Bill today.. Said it was plug an play... AND Yes, I agree... May be over kill... but I will "grow into it" ; ) The 5" just looks really nice under the hood. Here is one of the pics he sent me.. And I think with Mine having the Gloss Black EGR delete tube in there instead of the grey one in this pic.. It'll look sweet..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the bills 5" on my lmm and I had to get my Maf sensor recalibrate cuz it kept goin into reduced power mode. It is a b**ch to get in there tho. Does make it whistle more but im upgrading to cheetah now so ill have all the whistle I need lol its a good intake tho for the price

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My buddy has the 5" and his MAF had to be recalibrated. Im sure yours will too.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I have seen people switch stock intakes for LBZ and they need a recalibration. It may run, but wont be right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
reviving the tread, who recalibrates teh map sensor.

also would it be any benifit to taken teh little mash looking screen out of the map sensor .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Efi live

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is EFI live the only option to do the re-calibration? I have a PPE tuner... can this tuner take care of it??

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And maybe this is a silly Question.. But does the AFE Stage 2 Need a re-calibration?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure on the ppe don't have any experience with it. My guess is most intakes will need recal but I dk for sure on that

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If the tube size is different than stock you'll need to recalibrate the maf sensor. Pretty sure you need efi live to do it.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
166 Posts
So is there no way for the dealership to do this? If not what has anyone been charged to recal to the correct specs?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Dealer can't do it

It would depend on the person you are getting the tune from. If someone has your truck unlocked on their v2, they might charge you like $50

Or they might charge you the amount for a full tune and credits, which would be like ~$500ish

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dealer can't do it

It would depend on the person you are getting the tune from. If someone has your truck unlocked on their v2, they might charge you like $50

Or they might charge you the amount for a full tune and credits, which would be like ~$500ish
Hmm... Thats weird because I have been quoted cheaper to send my ECM give me DSP5 via EFI Live for right at $500. I think to buy a license is like $100 or so. Anyone else have some information to confirm or say otherwise? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hmm... Thats weird because I have been quoted cheaper to send my ECM give me DSP5 via EFI Live for right at $500. I think to buy a license is like $100 or so. Anyone else have some information to confirm or say otherwise? Thanks!
Each tuner charges different. Some feel their tunes/work are worth more than others. The "Tuning" industry is an odd one. That's why I put that "~" before my $500 estimate. It is an estimate. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you don't. I know people that "tune" and charge $500-$600 for a tune and the only thing they do is copy other people's tunes. And then I know people who will give you a perfectionists' tune if you buy them dinner.

To buy credits for a single vin is $100, but most big name tuners don't do that. They unlock an entire year of a vehicle, or an entire type of motor. It ends up being cheaper for them that way.... instead of paying for every single vin they tune, they just get them all..... if they are popular enough, it eventually pays off for them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts