Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading a lot about LP's and kinda leaning towards the Kennedy but still unsure. My truck is bone stock and will be used primarily for towing a few times a year. I'm still a diesel noob so go easy on me!:grin2:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
My LLY is about the same mileage as yours. Its towed it's whole life without lift pump.

Why are you considering one?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My LLY is about the same mileage as yours. Its towed it's whole life without lift pump.

Why are you considering one?
I’ve been reading where this is one of the first mods that should be done to prolong the life of the factory pump. Is it not a recommendation?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I don't have a Kennedy but to me, a lift pump makes sense. Pulling cross country you never know what kind of fuel you're getting, so extra filtration can't hurt. Yes, it does help take some strain off the injection pump. Whatever LP you decide on, it should be a "flow through" type so if it DOES ever quit, your truck will still run just fine. Mechanical stuff can and does fail...
Just my $0.02usd...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I’ve been reading where this is one of the first mods that should be done to prolong the life of the factory pump. Is it not a recommendation?
The CP3 is a very robust pump. Many have gone 350k miles or more.

The real benefit on a aging LLY, is the positive fuel line pressure will keep the rubber fuel lines from sucking closed during high demand fuel flow, and it will expose leaking gaskets or orings at the filter head.

I have a monitor on my LLY the shows desired fuel pressure ( what the engine wants) and actual fuel pressure ( what the CP3 is delivering) The two gauges are always in sync from idle to full throttle.

If you comb back through this site, you'll find CP3 failures are few and far between.

It's really doubtful you would ever see a benefit from adding a lift pump.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a Kennedy but to me, a lift pump makes sense. Pulling cross country you never know what kind of fuel you're getting, so extra filtration can't hurt. Yes, it does help take some strain off the injection pump. Whatever LP you decide on, it should be a "flow through" type so if it DOES ever quit, your truck will still run just fine. Mechanical stuff can and does fail...
Just my $0.02usd...
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The CP3 is a very robust pump. Many have gone 350k miles or more.

The real benefit on a aging LLY, is the positive fuel line pressure will keep the rubber fuel lines from sucking closed during high demand fuel flow, and it will expose leaking gaskets or orings at the filter head.

I have a monitor on my LLY the shows desired fuel pressure ( what the engine wants) and actual fuel pressure ( what the CP3 is delivering) The two gauges are always in sync from idle to full throttle.

If you comb back through this site, you'll find CP3 failures are few and far between.

It's really doubtful you would ever see a benefit from adding a lift pump.
Understood, thanks.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Pulling cross country you never know what kind of fuel you're getting, so extra filtration can't hurt.
I think 20 years ago.... ( 20 years ago was 2000!) 25 years ago I would be right with you.... but I think by now every major brand gas station has fiberglass tanks and good filtration installed. I think for the most part "bad fuel" is a thing of the past.

Or... maybe I'm just spoiled living in California.

With the amount of miles on his truck... other things like wheel bearings , water pump, blown hoses, TX case pump rub, or overheating are far more likely to ruin his road trip than not having a lift pump.

I'll go bumper to bumper on this rig first, and get it all in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I have a lbz, so near the same. I run Kennedy pump. One filter in front of it, and one after. Injector rates are great. But I only have 130k on my truck. Maybe 70k miles or so on this setup.
I recommend more than one filter on a diesel for fuel. Lift pump preferred also, whatever you decide.

Main thing is buy good fuel from bigger higher usage stations, where it doesn't sit around for long

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the amount of miles on his truck... other things like wheel bearings , water pump, blown hoses, TX case pump rub, or overheating are far more likely to ruin his road trip than not having a lift pump.

I'll go bumper to bumper on this rig first, and get it all in tip-top shape.
So as of today, it has a new water pump, t stats, hoses and fresh fluids in all places.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a lbz, so near the same. I run Kennedy pump. One filter in front of it, and one after. Injector rates are great. But I only have 130k on my truck. Maybe 70k miles or so on this setup.
I recommend more than one filter on a diesel for fuel. Lift pump preferred also, whatever you decide.

Main thing is buy good fuel from bigger higher usage stations, where it doesn't sit around for long
10-4 thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I was running duel Kennedys on my deleted and tuned LMM, loved them. Two things I liked about them were 1) they are a flow through design so if they failed fuel would still flow. 2) they had a button to manually flow fuel so you could easily prime your fuel filter after changing it without having to use that stock hand pump. They are also very quiet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Did you buy the complete kit or did you buy the filter heads and filters separately?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was running duel Kennedys on my deleted and tuned LMM, loved them. Two things I liked about them were 1) they are a flow through design so if they failed fuel would still flow. 2) they had a button to manually flow fuel so you could easily prime your fuel filter after changing it without having to use that stock hand pump. They are also very quiet.
Did you buy everything from Kennedy? Even the filter setup?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,273 Posts
The single JK pump comes with the mounting plate pre-drilled for the twin setup. The easiest thing to do is to use the unused holes in the plate to mount an aux filter head for your FWS filter (BF1212).

With these two added items, your stock filter location becomes your new secondary particulate filter.

Inexpensive LP kit with an added FWS filter, you'll have the positive pressure moving forward, and with the added filter PLUS the positive pressure, you'll greatly extend the life of the under hood filter, requiring less change intervals, and reducing the fuel filtering expense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The single JK pump comes with the mounting plate pre-drilled for the twin setup. The easiest thing to do is to use the unused holes in the plate to mount an aux filter head for your FWS filter (BF1212).

With these two added items, your stock filter location becomes your new secondary particulate filter.

Inexpensive LP kit with an added FWS filter, you'll have the positive pressure moving forward, and with the added filter PLUS the positive pressure, you'll greatly extend the life of the under hood filter, requiring less change intervals, and reducing the fuel filtering expense.
Yes, I think this is exactly what i want to do. Now, a couple more questions. 1- Does what you described mean two total filters, the FWS (water filter separator?) and the stock filter? 2- can you recommend a FWS that mounts to the single JK bracket? Thanks!

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,273 Posts
All of that is in detail, in the PM link I sent you a while ago.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts