Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Did you buy everything from Kennedy? Even the filter setup?
I bought directly, first I bought their single pump and the Kennedy gauge that you can plug in under the hood to make sure your pump is working. After about a year of no issues I added a second pump because I was starting to tow a lot more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you buy everything from Kennedy? Even the filter setup?
I bought directly, first I bought their single pump and the Kennedy gauge that you can plug in under the hood to make sure your pump is working. After about a year of no issues I added a second pump because I was starting to tow a lot more.
Did you add filters also or just the dual pumps pushing through the stock filter?

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I added the dual Kennedy pumps I also put a dual filter/separator immediately after the lift pumps. I also kept the stock filter in place up front. The lift pumps really help if somebody runs your truck empty. I also got the fuel test port gauge. I check every oil change and once the pressure drops enough it's time for a filter change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I added the dual Kennedy pumps I also put a dual filter/separator immediately after the lift pumps. I also kept the stock filter in place up front. The lift pumps really help if somebody runs your truck empty. I also got the fuel test port gauge. I check every oil change and once the pressure drops enough it's time for a filter change.
Nice, what brand dual filter/separator did you go with? Also, does the Kennedy kit come with the oil pressure safety sensor or is that something to purchase separately?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice, what brand dual filter/separator did you go with? Also, does the Kennedy kit come with the oil pressure safety sensor or is that something to purchase separately?
Can't remember for sure but I think I'm running a Cat and Baldwin one being a separator. I bought a dual filter head from Summit, I believe, and plumbed it myself. Not aware of a pressure switch. It does have a small box with an LED that comes on telling you at least the pumps are getting power. They are so quiet thought you have to run the fuel pressure test to make sure they are working.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Can't remember for sure but I think I'm running a Cat and Baldwin one being a separator. I bought a dual filter head from Summit, I believe, and plumbed it myself. Not aware of a pressure switch. It does have a small box with an LED that comes on telling you at least the pumps are getting power. They are so quiet thought you have to run the fuel pressure test to make sure they are working.
Sounds good, was the wiring fairly straight forward? Im more mechanical than electrical so the wiring part has me a little anxious.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds good, was the wiring fairly straight forward? Im more mechanical than electrical so the wiring part has me a little anxious.
I'm pretty well skilled in all trades automotive but I would give it about a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10. IIRC the harness runs up to the engine compartment to the little box with the led and one wire runs to the fuse box to tap power. Really easy if you use one of those piggy back tap fuses. Pretty sure you can handle it no problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm pretty well skilled in all trades automotive but I would give it about a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10. IIRC the harness runs up to the engine compartment to the little box with the led and one wire runs to the fuse box to tap power. Really easy if you use one of those piggy back tap fuses. Pretty sure you can handle it no problem.
Great, thanks! One more question: Is there a certain size filter base to order or are they universal?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

If you comprehend the function of this relay... its all you need to know to wire up your pump.
Thanks for the drawing. To be totally honest, I do not. Just due to the fact that my entire career has been on the mechanical/machining/welding side. I'd rather replace a head gasket than mess with electrical. But, Im always trying to learn, so Im gonna be studying it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It's super simple..... we'll walk you through it. The hardest part is going to be removing the pipe plug in the oil filter housing for the oil pressure switch, if you decide to use one.

Those things are tight!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's super simple..... we'll walk you through it. The hardest part is going to be removing the pipe plug in the oil filter housing for the oil pressure switch, if you decide to use one.

Those things are tight!!!!
Lol, sounds good. I really appreciate all the help so far.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
In a older car, you want the fuel pump to shutoff in case the car gets up on its side, or rolls over.

The reason is the carb float can no longer shut off the fuel, so when the engine quits and the oil pressure goes to zero, the fuel pump shuts off too.

With fuel injection, this hazzard does not exist. About the only thing that might happen is the fuel lines get torn off, spilling fuel from a still running pump.

I thought thats was pretty far fetched, so I didnt use a oil pressure cut off switch.

The choice is yours.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
The 'Deluxe' kit comes with everything needed to install the pump;
mtg plate
no clamp hose barbs
harnesses
oil psi switch
relay
power source feed
fuse clip, to trigger the relay on/off.
Add in a 1-14 thread (cat spec) filter head, couple of extra hose barbs and a few extra feet of hose, to add in a FWS filter.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
Meh, not into baby puke yellow.
I like to keep the filter color code the same on the underside.....RED Allison spin-on, RED Baldwin filters. marx

The black Mob-1 oil is out of place, but it's tucked up higher and less noticeable. :wink2:

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
When you see the 4pt star valve on the bottom of the kitty filters.....that's made by Baldwin, they own the patent on it and paint it different colors for different relabeled brands.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts