Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that several people are having failures of the factory fuel filters, has anyone tried these?

Donaldson makes some very fine filters, and what I have seen about this mod looks very nice.

Reactions: cfell

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
You might try a Baldwin filter in the stock housing before you spend the money. I like Donaldson filters and I’m sure that setup works great but it could cause a warranty issue if something fuel related were to happen.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try a Baldwin filter in the stock housing before you spend the money. I like Donaldson filters and I’m sure that setup works great but it could cause a warranty issue if something fuel related were to happen.
Baldwin doesn't say what the PF46126 filter performance is so I won't use it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
$210 seems a little steep. You could buy the pre-L5P OEM setup with filter for about $130. And it's a very good filter. At least the Racor is, not sure about the ACD nowadays. There's been some speculation that GM cheapened them up lately.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got one, was going to compare it to the Black Market performance one that I've been running. There is a few differences one being the flat surface on the nipple where the Donaldson gasket slides onto. On the BLP unit it's not flat to mirror the cat filter profile. Donaldson has that oring for precautions of fuel coming up through the threads I guess and really none of the other filters have any such oring or additional build to prevent that so not sure if it's even an issue.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got one, was going to compare it to the Black Market performance one that I've been running. There is a few differences one being the flat surface on the nipple where the Donaldson gasket slides onto. On the BLP unit it's not flat to mirror the cat filter profile. Donaldson has that oring for precautions of fuel coming up through the threads I guess and really none of the other filters have any such oring or additional build to prevent that so not sure if it's even an issue.
It looks like a really nice piece. The install directions look very simple. And the Donaldson filter is very very good. Do you plan to install soon?

·
Registered
19 Denali L5P SOTF Tuned. PLUS lots more
10 Posts
I bought the bmp one and bought a mount for an identical filter. Put push lock fittings on them and 1/2 hose I believe to run them in a series. I run the cat 175-2429 and 1r-750 after it. No problems. Lift pump stays up at wot through both filters

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought the bmp one and bought a mount for an identical filter. Put push lock fittings on them and 1/2 hose I believe to run them in a series. I run the cat 175-2429 and 1r-750 after it. No problems. Lift pump stays up at wot through both filters
Nice, I always wondered if the stock pump was getting strained running these setups.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Could you take a pic of your setup?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like most things oil and fuel related finding specs is an Easter egg hunt.

What I have found so far is below.

Flow rates are a gauge as to how hard the lift pump has to work to move diesel through the filter.

The Donaldson P553203 (the one that comes in the kit in my original post) has a particle efficiency of 4 micron and a max flow rate of 90GPH

The older fuel filter Racor PFF50216 that was recommended above has 4 micron rating and max flow of 50GPH

The stock filter ACDelco TP1015 has a 10 micron rating, but I'm unable to find a max flow rate so far. If anyone knows post it here. The poorer filtering of the TP1015 likely was necessary to improve flow rate in such a small filter. It would be nice to know the flow rate of this filter as a guide when looking for an aftermarket filter as a minimum guideline.

Also, both the Donaldson and the Racor remove 99% of emulsified water, the TP1015 is unknown so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed mine cause I have an auxiliary/transfer tank in the bed which time to time I'll use to top off truck tank. Also those filters are very inexpensive, always in stock at the cat dealership, and they fit on 2 of my dozers so I always have extras. The oem fuel filter and housing is junk as far as I'm concerned. Makes a mess to change and you can't get a quality filter to use.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I installed mine cause I have an auxiliary/transfer tank in the bed which time to time I'll use to top off truck tank. Also those filters are very inexpensive, always in stock at the cat dealership, and they fit on 2 of my dozers so I always have extras. The oem fuel filter and housing is junk as far as I'm concerned. Makes a mess to change and you can't get a quality filter to use.
Your not worried about not having a water separator? That's why I went with the fleece unit since the Donaldson has a water drain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your not worried about not having a water separator? That's why I went with the fleece unit since the Donaldson has a water drain.

Read post #8. The first filter in my system is a fuel water separator. Picture 2 and 3 are of it. Then it goes into the secondary filter. I don't trust all that into 1 filter. 175-2949 is my primary. 1r-750 is my secondary.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Do you have the specs on the fuel filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2 micron on secondary and 10 on primary I think. I have cummins running Baldwin filters and prefer cat if they cross reference over. Have had slight trouble with Baldwin. Cat sales Donaldson so I know they're good. Just cheaper than cat I guess? If you take apart a cat filter compare it to others you'll be hooked. Several machines I own over 10k hours with no pump or injector trouble. Sold me

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 micron on secondary and 10 on primary I think. I have cummins running Baldwin filters and prefer cat if they cross reference over. Have had slight trouble with Baldwin. Cat sales Donaldson so I know they're good. Just cheaper than cat I guess? If you take apart a cat filter compare it to others you'll be hooked. Several machines I own over 10k hours with no pump or injector trouble. Sold me
Yes Donaldson makes Cat filters. So I agree they likely are good.

I also agree that Baldwin filters are the Fram filters of heavy equipment, mediocre at best.

I really don't want to run 2 filters though like you have chosen to do. Thanks for sharing pics of your system though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts