Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any pics of runnin their stock rims painted black? im gonna throw mine back on for winter time and wanted to see what theyll look like black. thanks in advance

also pics with/without center cap, or center cap painted too

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Rattle can job with no caps

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
i really should do somethign with mine, the finish is come off in a few places

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i have tinted my windows since this and am in the process of looking for black center caps but i love mine black!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hey buddy, I would paint the rims black but leave the center cap chrome. I've seen them done like that and they look really good!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Rattle can job with no caps
how did you do your bumper and grille? i did my wheels and now want to do the rest of the chrome and it looks good on your truck

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
how did you do your bumper and grille? i did my wheels and now want to do the rest of the chrome and it looks good on your truck
sand it with 1000 grit, spray grease remover on and wipe, alcohol rub down, spray with adhesion promoter, then lay a solid 8 good coats on and you should be set, I just used rustoleum.

FYI - if you go light with the paint it will chip easily, I didn't go thick enough on the chrome strip on the hood and one are the size of a dime has chipped. But I'll just do a quick sand and re-do it.

I didn't use clear coats simply because I'm not experienced with that at all and I think it might take a talented hand to use.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea these look good. i think ill be paintin mine for sure. any more pics are appreciated

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
sand it with 1000 grit, spray grease remover on and wipe, alcohol rub down, spray with adhesion promoter, then lay a solid 8 good coats on and you should be set, I just used rustoleum.

FYI - if you go light with the paint it will chip easily, I didn't go thick enough on the chrome strip on the hood and one are the size of a dime has chipped. But I'll just do a quick sand and re-do it.

I didn't use clear coats simply because I'm not experienced with that at all and I think it might take a talented hand to use.
thanks alot! i would spray em man, i love mine and if they ever chip or wear ill just do it again

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
thanks alot! i would spray em man, i love mine and if they ever chip or wear ill just do it again
That's the beauty part about it, it's a cheap fix that you can do over and over as needed. But if you do it right the first time it should give you good service. Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
good clear is easy to use, i could not brush paint anything to make it look good. Thats why i paid someone to paint my house.

Now spray gun, or rattle can even i can use it. Just try something else adn see what works best for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats the best paint to use on wheels thats least likely for it to chip? should i primer them first? and what about a clear coat to finish them. I want them to be gloss or semi-gloss

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Sweet! I've been thinkin of doing this with mine, seeing as the clear coat on them have not liked the 620,000 miles I've put them thru! Has anyone powder coated theirs?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
i just sanded mine metal etch prime them and herculined them..,simple and they dont chip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you guys talking about the entire bumper or just the chrome? I'm looking to paint my bumpers.

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
before

i sanded mine with 400 grit, lightly, i didnt go nuts at all

primed, 2 coats to be sure

5 coats of por15 black coat...

with center cap

i did 4 coats of clear coat after about 2 months set time on the por15, just to ensure it cured as hard as possible

1 - 18 of 18 Posts