Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all, I have steering wheel controls on my truck, but they dont light up at night, I've looked for a fuse but didn't find anything that was for that specifically and nothing else seems to not be working. It was like this when I got the truck.

Jake

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The little lights behind them burn out and there a PITA to change I've heard. Some people bought a new wheel.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The lights can be changed-- but they are soldered in and a PITA to do.
Radio shack has some small bulbs-that will work.

GM sells the new buttons-- maybe $25/$30 each, and probably the best way to fix the problem.

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
Yeah replacing them is a pain in the ass. A few of mine went out so I just popped the others open and busted the bulbs out LOL. Now instead of having some lights I have none :) Doesnt look as stupid, and I know what all the buttons do, so I could care less.

But if it really grinds your gears that bad just do what they said and pick up some new switches.. Either way you have to take the wheel off I believe. The wires in the upper buttons arent long enough to pull out with the wheel in place. At least I think it was the uppers.. idk.

Kinda BS if you ask me. Lights shouldnt be burning out inside of a $50k+ truck..

·
Registered
18 Posts
It isn't difficult to change em!

I had the same problem. It is possible to carefully pry them out of the wheel, you must be careful as there isn't much slack. I understand it is possible to replace the bulbs but I bought new controls for about $26.00 each on line.

Use a small pry bar and a needle nose plier with a curved nose to hold the snap connectors...

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is soooo easy to do

Follow the instructions here to remove your steering wheel.

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Then follow the instructions here to re-solder your lights in I think at Radio Shack they are 252-1972. It really takes a little understanding of soldering thats all.

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Sorry these aren't Duramax Forum links but they were the best I have found. I took a bunch of photos when I did mine so I should write one up for the DF.

Hope this helps,
Austin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine don't light either forget it I'll live with it

·
Registered
633 Posts
Pull the airbag and you'll have access to the wire connectors and can let up a little slack, they are still short but this makes it pretty simple.

Pry the switch out with a small pick. They pop out.

Might as well replace the switch, they get worn anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts